Thread poster: lidija68
lidija68
lidija68  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:45
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
Feb 24, 2012

I have a question: why is it necessary to make your personal address public in order to complete the profile?
As I'm not a translation agency, I don't feel confortable by displaying my personal data so that anyone (not only agencies and collegues) can see it. Proz.com is a public site, isn't it? I have no problem by sending my cv with all contact details on request (I also have my proz identity verified), I just don't want them published.

Lidija

-english is not
... See more
I have a question: why is it necessary to make your personal address public in order to complete the profile?
As I'm not a translation agency, I don't feel confortable by displaying my personal data so that anyone (not only agencies and collegues) can see it. Proz.com is a public site, isn't it? I have no problem by sending my cv with all contact details on request (I also have my proz identity verified), I just don't want them published.

Lidija

-english is not my working language-
Collapse

Stephanie Busch
Stephanie Busch  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You can choose which parts (if any) of your address you'd like to make visible Feb 24, 2012

Hi Lidija,

if you follow the "Profile Updater" link from here

http://www.proz.com/faq/4258#4258

you can set the visibility status for each element of your address (street, city, country...).

I have chosen to have only the country displayed on my profile.

Hope this helps!

Stephanie

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:45
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Are you listed in your local telephone directory? Feb 24, 2012

Then your data are public already. You don't have to provide your email address on ProZ.com. You are already hiding behind an abstract user name and you use a flower as a profile picture. How private would you like to be? Translators keep complaining about being contacted by outsourcers using gmail-, hotmail- or other unidentifiable addresses. Translators are equal business partners and are obliged to follow the same business etiquette. Please do not blame ProZ.com if you don't get any jobs and ... See more
Then your data are public already. You don't have to provide your email address on ProZ.com. You are already hiding behind an abstract user name and you use a flower as a profile picture. How private would you like to be? Translators keep complaining about being contacted by outsourcers using gmail-, hotmail- or other unidentifiable addresses. Translators are equal business partners and are obliged to follow the same business etiquette. Please do not blame ProZ.com if you don't get any jobs and no customers are contacting you. This portal here is about visibility and nothing else.Collapse

lidija68
lidija68  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Stephanie Feb 24, 2012

Thanks Stephanie, it was very helpful. I didn't know it's so simple.

have a nice day
Lidija

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
What's the point? Feb 25, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Then your data are public already. You don't have to provide your email address on ProZ.com. You are already hiding behind an abstract user name and you use a flower as a profile picture. How private would you like to be? Translators keep complaining about being contacted by outsourcers using gmail-, hotmail- or other unidentifiable addresses. Translators are equal business partners and are obliged to follow the same business etiquette. Please do not blame ProZ.com if you don't get any jobs and no customers are contacting you. This portal here is about visibility and nothing else.

Just wondering what the point of this post is.

The topic starter didn't complain about not getting any job offers, she didn't complain about outsourcers with gmail addresses etc. and I don't think she was asking for a lecture on how to do business (in your opinion).

People have different ways of doing business here and as long as it works for them why don't you just accept that?

I for one am not listed in the local phone directory, never have been, never will be. I "hide" behind an "abstract user name" and have no picture at all and it certainly hasn't done my business any harm.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
You do not need to make your contact information visible Mar 5, 2012

Hello all,

Please note that you do not need to make your contact information public if you do not want to, lidija68. The "Contact" information section of your profile will still be considered complete if you enter all the required information and set its visibility to "No one", as Stephanie states.

Please let me know how it goes or if you need any help.

Lucia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Personal address and Profile completeness – privacy protection

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »