Stran v tématu:   [1 2] >
Client data required in job postings
Autor vlákna: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 03:44
ZAKLADATEL SERVERU
Mar 5, 2002

In response to opinions expressed here, on the moderator list, and in private emails, we have taken one step towards making the job system more transparent.

Here is how it works:

When posting a job, the outsourcer is asked for various forms of information, including name, company, company url, email address, phone number, and fax number. Next to each piece of information, the outsourcer is given the option whether or not to make this information visible.
... See more
In response to opinions expressed here, on the moderator list, and in private emails, we have taken one step towards making the job system more transparent.

Here is how it works:

When posting a job, the outsourcer is asked for various forms of information, including name, company, company url, email address, phone number, and fax number. Next to each piece of information, the outsourcer is given the option whether or not to make this information visible. (In other words, it works just as it does for bidders.)

See:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=jp

The ProZ.com database will hold even the non-visible information, and will disclose it in the event of disputes.

In addition, the IP address of the poster will be recorded at the time of posting. While the other information can be made up, an IP address is tough to fake. The IP address will *not* be shown to anyone, except, again, in cases of dispute.

This is a small first step, and undoubtedly, a number of requests will arise. There may also be some bugs. Let us know.

This change will affect everyone, regardless of membership status.
Collapse

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 00:44
angličtina -> španělština
+ ...
HIGH FIVE, HENRY!!!! :)) Mar 5, 2002

Congratulations on the decision!

Cheers.

Bertha

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Polsko
Local time: 09:44
Člen (2004)
angličtina -> polština
+ ...
I like it, but let them know why the country info is important Mar 5, 2002

Thank you Henry for your prompt reaction. I like the change, certainly it goes in the right direction. However, I want to make a point that the info on a job poster country is sometimes crucial, particularly from the perspective of \"serious\" and \"not serious\" bids: if the job is to translate 3 pages and the poster is US based, my bid from Poland is likely to be considered as \"not serius\" since the cost of money transfer almost doubles the amount due. I think many of us may actually need to... See more
Thank you Henry for your prompt reaction. I like the change, certainly it goes in the right direction. However, I want to make a point that the info on a job poster country is sometimes crucial, particularly from the perspective of \"serious\" and \"not serious\" bids: if the job is to translate 3 pages and the poster is US based, my bid from Poland is likely to be considered as \"not serius\" since the cost of money transfer almost doubles the amount due. I think many of us may actually need to offer different payment conditions depending on the outsourcer\'s country. And that is why this information is so important for me. The e-mail address gives some guidance, but what if the outsourcer chooses not to disclose the e-mail just because wants to be fair to ProZ.com? Perhaps it would be good to let the job posters now that the information on where they are may have an impact for the quality of bids they get.

Anyway, thank you Henry, again
Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
němčina -> angličtina
+ ...
Give yourself 1000 BrowniZ! Mar 5, 2002

Well done! I like it!

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
němčina -> angličtina
+ ...
Thanks, Henry! Mar 5, 2002

This is certainly a step in the right direction. What I\'m most interested in, though, is the country where the poster is located. Unless there\'s a URL or an email address with a country suffix, you still don\'t know.

The latest Fr->En post (engrg drawings) is a good example of NO information.

Trudy

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
+ ...
Thank you, Henry Mar 6, 2002

This is becoming a really good site at meeting our needs!

P.

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:44
Kudos! Mar 6, 2002

Mainly, for your quick response to this concern. I\'m sure there will be wrinkles to be smoothed, but the important thing for me is that you took the trouble to find a solution as soon as possible.

I liked especially the format you chose to display the client information: a box right below the bid, so the info is immediately visible, and it is not necessary to click any additional link.

... See more
Mainly, for your quick response to this concern. I\'m sure there will be wrinkles to be smoothed, but the important thing for me is that you took the trouble to find a solution as soon as possible.

I liked especially the format you chose to display the client information: a box right below the bid, so the info is immediately visible, and it is not necessary to click any additional link.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-06 00:13 ]
Collapse

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
Local time: 08:44
angličtina -> hebrejština
+ ...
Agree with the congratulations already expressed Mar 6, 2002

Excellent!

Would it be possible to show the country in every case, perhaps? This will not compromise the poster\'s confidentiality, I think, but may help bidders a little.

Just a thought.
[addsig]

Hans Gärtner
Hans Gärtner  Identity Verified
němčina -> španělština
+ ...
Thank you for your quick reaction! Mar 6, 2002

That\'s even more information than we need.

And outsorcers hiding all information are saying a lot.

Though I\'m afraid IP adresses are easily faked too.

Hans

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:44
Člen (2001)
angličtina -> albánština
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you Henry! Mar 6, 2002

And I am sure you will continue to get many thanks from lots of pros...
[addsig]

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 02:44
Člen (2001)
angličtina -> ruština
+ ...
Wisely balanced move Mar 6, 2002

Nothing to add.It should work nicely.

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Itálie
Člen (2003)
angličtina -> italština
+ ...
Thank you Mar 6, 2002

This is a very important step in order to establish clear rules not only for translators but for translation companies as well.

Diantha Guessous
Diantha Guessous  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Člen (2002)
francouzština -> angličtina
Good move. Mar 6, 2002

I would just like to second the comments made before mine.

idecev326565
idecev326565  Identity Verified
němčina -> španělština
+ ...
Very well Mar 6, 2002

I find it a very good decision.

Perhaps, as Trudy suggested, the country of the outsourcer could also be made visible. This doesn´t give away \"confidential\" information and is useful for many translators.

Egmont
Egmont
Španělsko
afrikánština -> španělština
+ ...
At last! Mar 6, 2002

Congratulations!
[addsig]

Stran v tématu:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderátor/moderátoři tohoto fóra
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client data required in job postings

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »