Profile picture \"migration\" - my picture on someone else\'s profile?
Thread poster: Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:10
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Oct 4, 2002

Yesterday something interesting happened: my picture that I have on my profile appeared on another ProZ member\'s profile page. I noticed it because he posted a comment on one of the forums (after my comment), and to my surprise, my picture appeared next to his name. I clicked on his name and I saw my picture uploaded on his profile page, so this issue was not limited to that specific discussion forum. I immediately asked him to remove the picture, and others also suggested him to take it off, r... See more
Yesterday something interesting happened: my picture that I have on my profile appeared on another ProZ member\'s profile page. I noticed it because he posted a comment on one of the forums (after my comment), and to my surprise, my picture appeared next to his name. I clicked on his name and I saw my picture uploaded on his profile page, so this issue was not limited to that specific discussion forum. I immediately asked him to remove the picture, and others also suggested him to take it off, referring to his warped sense of humor. Pretty soon the picture was changed. He is claiming a system error. I would like to know if anybody else had a similar experience, and if it is indeed possible, that such a thing can happen due to a system error, without the person\'s specific actions.

Now, this person is not just a random person, he is in the same language pair, and he did not have any picture uploaded to his profile until this thing happened. Although he had some questionable actions in the past, I still would like to give him the benefit of doubt, and ask the ProZ staff to look into this problem. If it is indeed a system issue, please fix it, as I am sure nobody would like this to happen to them.

Please let me know what you think about this.

Henry, if it helps the investigation, I can point you to his profile in a private email, just let me know.

Katalin
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Give him the benefit of doubt Oct 4, 2002

Hi Katalin

I imagine it must be very unpleasant but it has already happened.

How ? No idea.

Strange things happen.

Sometimes messages posted in the forum appear under another name.

Sometimes they are dated on 1969.

Sometimes home page is stuck with the same feature Pro for hours, but not for every body.

Some pages are just visible by a few.

Don\'t worry, strange things happen. You should worry
... See more
Hi Katalin

I imagine it must be very unpleasant but it has already happened.

How ? No idea.

Strange things happen.

Sometimes messages posted in the forum appear under another name.

Sometimes they are dated on 1969.

Sometimes home page is stuck with the same feature Pro for hours, but not for every body.

Some pages are just visible by a few.

Don\'t worry, strange things happen. You should worry if you notice your resume is beeing used by somebody else. It has happened and it was intentional.

Good luck
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yeah, that's why I am asking Oct 4, 2002

This is exactly why I would like to know if it is a system problem, and if it could be fixed.

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
System problems are part of life.... Oct 4, 2002

Hi!

Had my own dealing with a little glitch a few nights ago:

I went to post a reply on the French forum and I was told that I was no longer authorized to perform this function (reply)... I had been blocked out

Turns out it was a little boo-boo created while Henry was reprogramming some stuff on the site... he was kicked out too , and he f
... See more
Hi!

Had my own dealing with a little glitch a few nights ago:

I went to post a reply on the French forum and I was told that I was no longer authorized to perform this function (reply)... I had been blocked out

Turns out it was a little boo-boo created while Henry was reprogramming some stuff on the site... he was kicked out too , and he fixed our little problem immediately.

All is well now (as you can see) - system problems do happen - usually not intentionally of course.

Nathalie
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:10
English to German
+ ...
Submit a Support Request Oct 4, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-04 17:11, katalin_h wrote:

This is exactly why I would like to know if it is a system problem, and if it could be fixed.

What you should do is to submit a Support Request. Also, you might consider having this thread moved to \"Bugs\" - Henry is the moderator of this forum.

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Perhaps I should clarify Oct 4, 2002

Thank you for your support and nice comments. Given my 20 years involvement with technology, including computer programming and network administration as well, I am familiar (more than I wish) with technical glitches. However, I know that technical glitches always have a technical explanation. I also know, that - unfortunately - sometimes the problem lies very deep in the various layers of software/hardware that is involved, therefore nobody wants/can (in a reasonable timeframe) debug it. If the... See more
Thank you for your support and nice comments. Given my 20 years involvement with technology, including computer programming and network administration as well, I am familiar (more than I wish) with technical glitches. However, I know that technical glitches always have a technical explanation. I also know, that - unfortunately - sometimes the problem lies very deep in the various layers of software/hardware that is involved, therefore nobody wants/can (in a reasonable timeframe) debug it. If the problem is suspected to be of this kind, and it is an isolated case, sometimes the best approach is to ignore.

I described a very specific problem in my original posting, and perhaps I was not clear about my request about it, so let me clarify:

If (and only if) you PERSONALLY have seen your own (or somebody else\'s) picture appearing on a different person\'s profile, or you have a specific technical explanation for the reason of it, please tell me about it here.

It is not my intention to create \"yet another\" thread of general discussion of various problems with the site in a non-specific manner - we have had that way too many times.

Thank you for your help and understanding.

Katalin

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Profile picture \"migration\" - my picture on someone else\'s profile?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »