London conference 2008 - Evening networking and social dinners
Thread poster: Michael Benis
Michael Benis
Michael Benis  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:46
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 6, 2008

This thread aims to provide information about and a space to discuss and make arrangements regarding the Friday and Saturday evening networking dinners.

Conference Dinner and Networking Events have been organised for the Friday and Saturday nights, both held in private rooms and offering vegetarian and vegan options.

The Friday dinner will be a traditional English four-course meal at the acclaimed Betjeman Arms, Saint Pancras, costing £34 per head not including drinks.
... See more
This thread aims to provide information about and a space to discuss and make arrangements regarding the Friday and Saturday evening networking dinners.

Conference Dinner and Networking Events have been organised for the Friday and Saturday nights, both held in private rooms and offering vegetarian and vegan options.

The Friday dinner will be a traditional English four-course meal at the acclaimed Betjeman Arms, Saint Pancras, costing £34 per head not including drinks. See http://www.stpancras.com/eat/gastro-pub for more information on this pub.

The Saturday dinner will be a four-course meal at the renowned Italian restaurant Ciao Bella, costing £41.50 per head including half a litre of house wine per head. The Ciao Bella website is here: http://www.ciaobellarestaurant.co.uk

We’ve reserved private rooms to provide a secure and somewhat quieter networking environment than would be possible otherwise. Despite getting hold of the largest restaurant rooms available, with the capacity to seat up to 75 on the Friday and 100 on the Saturday, it’s clear that although there are till places left, many more people will be wanting places than there are places available. If the numbers keep rising, we can try and add rooms or venues, but only advance planning and advance booking will allow us to do that. Places consequently have to be booked and paid for in advance.

Here are the menus for the two evenings:

Allowing for seasoinal or other availability changes, the meus will be:

Friday (Betjeman Arms)

Soup of the day, crusty bread (vegan option)
Game terrine with chutney and toast
Pear, walnut and stilton salad

Roasted squash with honey, mustard and crispy potatoes (vegan option)
Beer battered fish and chips, crushed peas
Homemade burger, cheddar cheese, smoked bacon, chips
Chicken breast with seasonal vegetables

Cheese and fruit platter per table

Saturday (Ciao Bella)

Insalata tricolore (vegetarian with vegan option)
Bruschetta (vegan)

Tagliatelle al salmone
Penne all'arabbiata (vegan)

Mixed mediterranean vegetables (vegan)
Costolette di agnello alla griglia
Pollo al melome

Tiramisu
Lemon sorbet

Coffee and 1/2 litre of wine per head.

If there's anything else you'd like to know, please just ask!

I will reply to all questions as soon as my hectic work schedule allows, but there's no need for this to be just a Question and Answer forum. Feedback, suggestions and discussion are welcomed as well.

Best regards

Michael

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-06-15 19:20 GMT]
Collapse

Lucie Nicholsonova
Lucie Nicholsonova
United Kingdom
English to Czech
+ ...
do I need to make an order now? Oct 22, 2008

Hi Michael,
If I manage to get to one of these dinners, do i need to order beforehand? My Italian is not very good so apart from tiramisu and lemon sorbet I have no idea what the others are.

Michael Benis
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Order now! Oct 22, 2008

Hi Lucie,

because these are private rooms in the hotel (which is best for networking undisturbed) everyone needs to book and pay in advance if they want to attend.

Please just contact me direct. People are also welcome to pay me direct for the delegate fee and networking events at the same time.

Here's the Italian menu in English:

Avocado, tomato and ricotta salad (vegetarian with vegan option)
Toasted crusty bread or pizza dough with tom
... See more
Hi Lucie,

because these are private rooms in the hotel (which is best for networking undisturbed) everyone needs to book and pay in advance if they want to attend.

Please just contact me direct. People are also welcome to pay me direct for the delegate fee and networking events at the same time.

Here's the Italian menu in English:

Avocado, tomato and ricotta salad (vegetarian with vegan option)
Toasted crusty bread or pizza dough with tomato topping (vegan)

Tagliatelle flat long pasta with salmon
Penne pasta quills with a spicy tomato and chilli sauce (vegan)

Mixed mediterranean vegetables (vegan)
Grilled lamb chops
Chicken with melon

Tiramisu mascarpone and sponge cake desert with liqueur and coffee
Lemon sorbet
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:46
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
At what time? Oct 28, 2008

Hi Michael,

I might have missed an horizon, but can't find any indication about the time At what time shall we be at the respecitve restaurants?

Thanks

Giuliana

Michael Benis
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Around 8 / 20.00 hrs Oct 29, 2008

Hi Giuliana,

thanks for that very helpful question!

FRIDAY:

The Betjeman Arms have reserved the private dining room and bar from 6.00 p.m. but I very much doubt anyone will be wandering over there from the Camden Centre bar (where we will be meeting up for early registration to leave Saturday morning free for breakfast) any earlier than around 8.00 p.m..

SATURDAY:

Ciao Bella have booked our from from 7.30, but again it is likely t
... See more
Hi Giuliana,

thanks for that very helpful question!

FRIDAY:

The Betjeman Arms have reserved the private dining room and bar from 6.00 p.m. but I very much doubt anyone will be wandering over there from the Camden Centre bar (where we will be meeting up for early registration to leave Saturday morning free for breakfast) any earlier than around 8.00 p.m..

SATURDAY:

Ciao Bella have booked our from from 7.30, but again it is likely that most people will be arriving at 8.00, having freshened up in their hotels after the Prize Draw and drinks at the end of the Saturday sessions.

I'll also be posting this information in my next update, along with a little more information on the Prize Draw, almost all details of which have now been finalised.

Cheers

Mike
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:46
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Great, thanks, what about early reg on Fri? Oct 30, 2008

Hi Michael,

thanks for the quick update. Registration time (from-to) on Friday?

Thanks again,

Giuliana

Michael Benis
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Early registration from 7.00 p.m. Oct 31, 2008

Hi Giuliana,

Thanks for asking that. I've just checked and for some reason it never made it into the ProZ site programme, but is here, in a format that is also slightly easier to read: http://www.translationconference.org.uk/index_files/Page390.html

Cheers

Michael

Michael Benis
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Conference Guide Nov 16, 2008

Just in case anyone missed the e-mails, the Conference Guide has been available since Friday at: http://www.translationconference.org.uk/Guide%20to%20the%20Translator%20as%20Strategic%20Partner.pdf

Please note that it's a 6MB file, which should print out nice clearly to give you something to read on your journey, a nice clea
... See more
Just in case anyone missed the e-mails, the Conference Guide has been available since Friday at: http://www.translationconference.org.uk/Guide%20to%20the%20Translator%20as%20Strategic%20Partner.pdf

Please note that it's a 6MB file, which should print out nice clearly to give you something to read on your journey, a nice clear Underground map for when you arrive in London and so on.

But if you need a lower resolution version, please just let me know and I'll e-mail one to you.

Michael

PS: If you haven't already done so - please let me know your choice of starter and main course for the Friday networking event.
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

London conference 2008 - Evening networking and social dinners

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »