Advice on new laptop computer
Thread poster: Stefanie Sendelbach
Lennart Luhtaru
Lennart Luhtaru  Identity Verified
United States
English to Estonian
+ ...
RAM and screen Oct 15, 2012

Matte screen is much easier on eyes as there is no reflections on the screen when working. Glossy screens usually have better color reproduction though. Compare them in the shop if you can. On some glossy screens you basically see your reflection on the screen all the time and in every lightning.

My machine has 12GB of RAM and Studio, lots of browser tabs, huge PDF and DOC reference files, Outlook, Skype, MSN, dictionaries and WIN 7 itself take about 3.5 GB of RAM when working on a
... See more
Matte screen is much easier on eyes as there is no reflections on the screen when working. Glossy screens usually have better color reproduction though. Compare them in the shop if you can. On some glossy screens you basically see your reflection on the screen all the time and in every lightning.

My machine has 12GB of RAM and Studio, lots of browser tabs, huge PDF and DOC reference files, Outlook, Skype, MSN, dictionaries and WIN 7 itself take about 3.5 GB of RAM when working on a project. More than 8GB is good if you also work with Indesign or other DTP tools.

Problem with MBA and scrolling was probably caused by your dock and compatibility problems. I actually would not recommend any of those single USB docks as they compress image data quite a lot and the output quality to large monitor is probably poor when compared to direct output from laptop's video port or from "real docking station's" video port. Not sure though if the difference can be seen easily, but you can test it out yourself. Also all devices share one USB port and its max data transfer rate then.

I know that Thinkpads look like from 20 years ago Most other manufacturers have business class computers, you can browse what they have also. As long as a computer has some kind of alloy frame (not just display cover), 3 year warranty and configuration options, you're usually good

I just like Dell and Lenovo as they have touchsticks in addition to touchpads and I prefer it even to external mouse (I don't have to move wrists away from typing position to move the pointer on screen).

[Edited at 2012-10-15 21:01 GMT]
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:17
Finnish to French
X1 Carbon Oct 15, 2012

Stefanie Sendelbach wrote:
I must say that I find Lenovo laptops very unsexy, and I don't think I would want one even if they come cheaper than a machine with comparable specs.

Have you had a look at the ThinkPad X1 Carbon? It's an awesome machine. Same weight/size as the MacBook Air, but 8 GB of RAM (MBA maxes out at 4), built-in 3G (not available on MBA), 14" 1600x900 display (13" 1440x900 on MBA) etc. etc.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:17
German to Spanish
yes, 20 years... Oct 15, 2012

Lennart Luhtaru wrote:

I know that Thinkpads look like from 20 years ago ...

I just like Dell and Lenovo as they have touchsticks in addition to touchpads and I prefer it even to external mouse [Edited at 2012-10-15 21:01 GMT]

A magic pad is 20 years in the future, using 1, 2, 3, 4 or five fingers you can configure a lot of things (BetterTouchTool). In fact my decision of the new laptop was based on it, to go back to a mouse, or a small pad, would be a big lost in the way I work.

After using 2 x 19" for a while, I also see now to work with only one monitor (27" or 30") is better (at least for me), and mat! without doubt (for movies I have a TV ).

For "minor matters" (see, Skype, twitter, facebooking, Gmailing, etc.) I use a iPad, so my laptop ist just for work.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:17
German to English
+ ...
130 GB ?! Oct 15, 2012

Last week, I was not able to open a 130 GB file from my client. I could open it on a Windows 7 computer, though.

You surely mean 130 MB !
(I suppose everybody already realises that, but I'm pointing it out, just in case...)

Oliver

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
130 MB Oct 15, 2012

MEGAbyte, of course. Thanks for pointing it out, Oliver!

Wolfgang Vogt
Wolfgang Vogt  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:17
English to German
+ ...
no idea... Oct 16, 2012

I use SDL Studio for almost all my projects. Therefore I think I will have to stick to MS Office for the spellcheck within the Studio environment. Or can you integrate the Duden Korrektor spellcheck into Studio?

Actually I would like to know if there was a way to do that, too! However, I don't think that's possible...

Lennart Luhtaru
Lennart Luhtaru  Identity Verified
United States
English to Estonian
+ ...
It depends Oct 16, 2012

Fernando Toledo wrote:

A magic pad is 20 years in the future, using 1, 2, 3, 4 or five fingers you can configure a lot of things (BetterTouchTool). In fact my decision of the new laptop was based on it, to go back to a mouse, or a small pad, would be a big lost in the way I work.

I still have to move my wrist to put my hand near the touchpad. I have a MBPro for home multimedia use, but I don't consider it a good machine for working fast in CAT tools. I agree its touchpad is years ahead of other touchpads though; I just don't like touchpads

Stefanie Sendelbach
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will this be the one? Oct 16, 2012

After lots of reading and browsing, I finally found a machine that I really like. It's the Samsung Series 7 NP700Z7C:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6149/samsung-series-7-notebook-review

It seems to have everything I've been looking for:

- A high-quality 17.3" matte screen (1080p, 1920x1080), but a weight of under 3kg
- 8 GB R
... See more
After lots of reading and browsing, I finally found a machine that I really like. It's the Samsung Series 7 NP700Z7C:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6149/samsung-series-7-notebook-review

It seems to have everything I've been looking for:

- A high-quality 17.3" matte screen (1080p, 1920x1080), but a weight of under 3kg
- 8 GB RAM
- An i7 Quad-core processor with only 45W (that means it will not use that much energy, right?)
- 1TB HDD with an 8GB caching SSD (SanDisk iSSD P4)
- A VGA port and 4 USB ports (2 x USB2.0, 2 x USB3.0)
- An 8-cell battery

It even comes with a nice sound system, a backlit keyboard, and I think it's really pretty!

Does anybody have any experience with this machine? Anything you can identify as negative in the specs?

What exactly does this SSD do? It is too small for storing my OS, right? I'd like to have the OS on my SSD, thus hopefully getting a quick boot-up and noiseless working. The SSD seems to be only for storing my cache. That's a bit lame, no?

The review says that the storage subsystem is not the best. It might have to do with either the RPM of the HDD (only 5400) or the small SDD. Do you happen to know of a similar machine that does not have this storage bottleneck problem?

Another machine I quite like is the Asus N76 series, for example this one: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Multimedia_Entertainment/N76VZ/. It seems to offer more configuration options, but it is also heavier (3.6kg, which is almost what my current laptop weighs).
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
It looks good Oct 17, 2012

The only thing that I don't like is that accept only 8 GB RAM (so you can not profit from 64-bit OS)

Take also a look at the customer reviews in Amazon.

For me would be too big for traveling... and too small for home

Here's a tip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQuJrswnJ5g
... See more
The only thing that I don't like is that accept only 8 GB RAM (so you can not profit from 64-bit OS)

Here's a tip:

I will do it next year (SSD is getting cheaper and cheaper), and will upgrade the RAM to 16 GB in my little 13"

Regards
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dual hard drive setup Oct 17, 2012

Fernando Toledo wrote:
Here's a tip:

When this thread started, I was tempted to post and recommend the OP investigates using a custom-built gaming laptop. Many such laptops have dual hard drive setups (or you can have three hard drives if you replace the optical drive with another hard drive).

This makes a RAID0 setup possible, which represents a speed gain, too (if you believe in that sort of thing, although gaming laptops that market RAID0 tend to have good RAID controllers).

Stefanie Sendelbach
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Screen size Oct 17, 2012

Fernando Toledo wrote:

Here's a tip:

I will do it next year (SSD is getting cheaper and cheaper), and will upgrade the RAM to 16 GB in my little 13"

Regards

Thanks for your input, Fernando!

I sometimes work in different locations for up to three or four weeks at a time, and I don't want to be stuck with a small screen there. That's why I want a 17" machine.

The Amazon reviews are very interesting. Thanks for pointing them out!

Stefanie

Stefanie Sendelbach
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I was hoping to see you here, Samuel! Oct 17, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

When this thread started, I was tempted to post and recommend the OP investigates using a custom-built gaming laptop. Many such laptops have dual hard drive setups (or you can have three hard drives if you replace the optical drive with another hard drive).

Hi Samuel,

Thanks for joining the thread! I was hoping to see you here.

I hadn't thought of a custom-built machine, but I will take a look at what's doable here in Germany (and what that would cost).

Samuel Murray wrote:

This makes a RAID0 setup possible, which represents a speed gain, too (if you believe in that sort of thing, although gaming laptops that market RAID0 tend to have good RAID controllers).

I have no idea (yet) about this topic. Thanks for bringing it up! I'll read myself into it.

Cheers,

Stefanie

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on new laptop computer

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »