Producing Trados translated files without translating using Trados
ناشر الموضوع: Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
كندا
ألماني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Dec 4, 2002

that is, you simply have to own and use Déjà vu (latest version: 3.0.31).

Say, your client wants you to use Trados to translate a file but you prefer to use Déjà vu (like I do) because of its robust features. You don\'t even have to translate with Trados to do it. One CAT tool, Déjà vu, does the trick.

How do you do it?

1. Open Multiterm. Create a fuzzy index (File > Create fuzzy index). Be sure your Multiterm database is open. If you do
... See more
that is, you simply have to own and use Déjà vu (latest version: 3.0.31).

Say, your client wants you to use Trados to translate a file but you prefer to use Déjà vu (like I do) because of its robust features. You don\'t even have to translate with Trados to do it. One CAT tool, Déjà vu, does the trick.

How do you do it?

1. Open Multiterm. Create a fuzzy index (File > Create fuzzy index). Be sure your Multiterm database is open. If you don\'t have one, use the sample databases that comes with the application.

2. Open Workbench. Be sure that you have a database open, with the source and target corresponding to what you\'re currently working on.

3. Go to Tools > Translate. Find your file, click on Add. In the box named \"higher match value\", enter a reasonable fuzzy percentage like 80%, for example.

4. Check box \"segment unknown sentences\".

5. Update changed translations: \"don\'t\".

6. Translate terms: \"insert\".

7. Be sure there\'s a log file. Create one (file extension: *.log).

8. Click on Translate. Workbench will now insert Trados tags and convert your file into a Trados file.

9. Create project in Déjà vu by importing the Trados Workbench file. Translate as you normally do using Déjà vu.

10. The output is a translated file with the source text hidden just like a Trados translated file. If your client wants you to deliver a TM, simply clean the file into an empty TM and deliver that.

Seems like a burdensome procedure just to deliver a Trados file, right? Yes, but this would seem more logical if you\'re convinced about the superiority of Déjà vu over Trados (like I am).

Another advantage is that you don\'t have to deal with the complicated filters that Trados requires for you to even begin!

Just try translating Powerpoint and SGML/HTML files using Trados and you\'ll see what I mean. Déjà vu does it with very simple and easily learned steps!

I am convinced that Trados helps agencies more than it helps us translators since agencies use those pernicious features - the dreaded fuzzy index and repetition scales - to reduce their labor costs and, hence, less mulah for us.

Collapse

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
المجر-هنغاريا
Local time: 05:08
عضو (2002)
أنجليزي إلى مجري
+ ...
DVX? Dec 4, 2002

I am an avid Deja Vu user myself, using it practically for all my translation assignments.

Do you happen to know when the long-awaited Deja Vu X version will finally be released?

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
بلجيكا
Local time: 05:08
أنجليزي إلى هولندي
+ ...
DVX: final testing Dec 4, 2002

DVX is currently being tested \"in real life\". This week, the Belgian Atril partner started translating the DV(X) manual with DVX. I suppose (and hope) it will be released very soon if the result turns out OK...

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 23:08
ألماني إلى أنجليزي
Send this to CAT conv at Yahoo Dec 4, 2002

Marcus,

This is quite useful. You might consider sending the instructions to the CAT file conversion list on Yahoo:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cat_conv/

Kevin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

مشرفو هذا المنتدى
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Producing Trados translated files without translating using Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »