Migrate to WF from Trados?
Thread poster: MGL
MGL
MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:42
Russian to English
Jan 22, 2008

Since about 2004, I have been using Trados 6.5. I gave up trying to use it with MultiTerm iX, which just continually crashes TWB when, God forbid, there is a term match. Despite going through the forums here, the solutions that were posted did not work for me. (I would really love to get MultiTerm iX to work with my TWB!!!!!)

I have been happy with Trados, but I have noticed the lack of any remaining support for my an
... See more
Since about 2004, I have been using Trados 6.5. I gave up trying to use it with MultiTerm iX, which just continually crashes TWB when, God forbid, there is a term match. Despite going through the forums here, the solutions that were posted did not work for me. (I would really love to get MultiTerm iX to work with my TWB!!!!!)

I have been happy with Trados, but I have noticed the lack of any remaining support for my ancient version, and I am not prepared to spend one thousand dollars or more for an upgrade (not to mention now forking over more cash for support). I would really love something with smoothly integrated term recognition using the glossary projects I am working on.

So I have been poking around the ProZ forums for information about WordFast. I downloaded the demo, and I plan to fiddle with the WF demo more to see how I feel about it. In the meantime, I would love to hear from other translators who have migrated from Trados to WF (or vice versa).

- Was there anything that you found particularly difficult to get used to when you migrated?
- Do you miss any features? Did you find new features that you are now glad to have?
- Is there anything you wish WF could do but doesn't?
- Are you happy you made the change?

I have noticed that WF users seem to be a little more technically savvy than I feel I am. Is there a very big learning curve?
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:42
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Migration issues Jan 22, 2008

Megan Lehmann wrote:

Since about 2004, I have been using Trados 6.5. I gave up trying to use it with MultiTerm iX, which just continually crashes TWB when, God forbid, there is a term match.

I remember that problem in Trados 6.5. Strangely it only happened on one of my computers.

There's no equivalent problem in WF, but the current version of Trados doesn't have that glitch either.

The only major migration issue I've seen is that Trados 6.5's encoding of format information (codes for font changes, superscripts, etc.) show up as garbage characters when you move the TM into Wordfast. I can't remember whether or not there is a similar problem with certain extended characters such as "curly quotes."

As far as I can tell, WF doesn't support superscripts and subscripts in the TM, which can be an issue if you work in certain technical fields, such as chemistry.

On the other hand, WF doesn't randomly change the document's fonts the way Trados often does. So there are pro's and con's to each package. For me, the biggest advantage of WF is that I can use it on my old Mac G4 laptop with Word 2004.

Ultimately, though, I decided to upgrade to the current version of Trados Freelance (which also includes the wonderful SDLX program). Wordfast is good, but Trados seems more flexible and allows you to work easily with a wider range of source file formats.

[Edited at 2008-01-22 19:59]

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 07:42
English to Spanish
Trados & MultiTerm Jan 24, 2008

My Trados 6.5 works smoothly with MultiTerm 5. Also with my Trados 7.1.
I don't think I need a more advanced MT version.

I started working with Wordfast, but as soon as I met Trados, I would not go back to Wordfast.

Just my opinion.

MGL
MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:42
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
that is what I was afraid of Jan 24, 2008

Thanks for your comments!

Magically and unexpectedly, Multiterm iX is now unexpectedly working on my computer (by a fluke, I have two licensed copies of Multiterm - I tried reinstalling the second one, and it works.... fingers crossed...)

I never really needed to use the term recognition in Trados before now, but now that I am using it (and it isn't crashing every five seconds), I *love* it.

After trying the demo a bit here and there, I'm not sure I could
... See more
Thanks for your comments!

Magically and unexpectedly, Multiterm iX is now unexpectedly working on my computer (by a fluke, I have two licensed copies of Multiterm - I tried reinstalling the second one, and it works.... fingers crossed...)

I never really needed to use the term recognition in Trados before now, but now that I am using it (and it isn't crashing every five seconds), I *love* it.

After trying the demo a bit here and there, I'm not sure I could happily switch to Wordfast...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Migrate to WF from Trados?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »