Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
New ‘Dragon Professional 16’: is it any better than Dragon Professional Individual 15?
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
James (Jim) Davis
James (Jim) Davis  Identity Verified
Seychelles
Local time: 19:59
Member (2022)
Italian to English
Reply to Dan Lucas Apr 3, 2023

Dan Lucas quote: "There is no "monopoly". You can jettison Windows and move to OS X or Linux if you want to. All three operating systems have their strengths and weaknesses. I choose to stick with Windows because I have no particular beef with Microsoft and I think it represents the least bad set of compromises. Nevertheless, there are credible alternatives to Windows. "But I find the alternatives less convenient" is not the definition of a monopoly."
OK 70% of the market, not a 100% monop
... See more
Dan Lucas quote: "There is no "monopoly". You can jettison Windows and move to OS X or Linux if you want to. All three operating systems have their strengths and weaknesses. I choose to stick with Windows because I have no particular beef with Microsoft and I think it represents the least bad set of compromises. Nevertheless, there are credible alternatives to Windows. "But I find the alternatives less convenient" is not the definition of a monopoly."
OK 70% of the market, not a 100% monopoly. All my clients and colleagues use Windows. I would love to change to Linux, but while all my clients use Windows, that is impossible. I have been using windows for around a quarter of a century. Windows 10 insisting on upgrading your system, no opt out. Every time it did half my legacy software stopped working, and other Microsoft software like Outlook went haywire. If Microsoft had not caused my stress levels to go through the roof, I would not have a beef. It would not be "inconvenient" to change but impossible, except for maybe buying a Mac, which always give some compatibility issues. My brother a software architect complained he missed a football match because that ....... (large variety of swear words) Microsoft decided to takeover control of his laptop and upgrade to Windows 10 at the start of the match. I could write a book on the subject.
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:59
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
So far it has been possible to avoid Windows 11 Apr 3, 2023

James (Jim) Davis wrote:
Windows 10 insisting on upgrading your system, no opt out.

One day I will probably move from my current Window 10 to Windows 11, but not right now. I used the group policy editor to block the update to Windows 11 a year or so ago and haven't needed to think about it since. All you have to do is make the effort to google it.

Re your other points, there are plenty of translators on here using macOS who work with clients on Windows, including at least one person on this thread. They manage. In all likelihood you could too, it would just be harder. So Windows is probably your easiest choice, and yet you're fulminating about having to use it.

Do I find Microsoft annoying at times? Sure I do. But I'm also certain that if I used an Apple system or a Linux distro I'd have at least as many annoyances and generally access to a far smaller range of applications. That for me would mean less convenience. Again, it's not a monopoly, and given that it's my own choice to use Microsoft products (for which I pay very little - I think £60 a year or something for Office and I got Windows 10 as a free upgrade) I tend to take the pragmatic approach and not bitch about it.

Either way, it would take a lot to convince me that Microsoft and its developers aren't a whole lot better than those at Nuance, so I'm hopeful that in Dragon v17 things improve significantly. I'm still not persuaded that v16 makes sense, and I'm still in two minds about upgrading, but then again it's not a life-changing sum of money.

Regards,
Dan

James (Jim) Davis
Seychelles
Member (2022)
Italian to English
Annoying! Desperate!!!! Apr 4, 2023

Hi Dan,
Before the Windows 10 forced upgrade, annoying, irritated would be accurate, but when you can't work and you have deadlines and customers to lose, that is more than annoying, it is 1,000% infuriating, but you don't have time to be infuriated, you are working round the clock trying to fix the havoc caused. System resets, coding work arounds, setting your internet connection on metered, anything to prevent another attempt at an upgrade.
My credentials for saying this: I wrote m
... See more
Hi Dan,
Before the Windows 10 forced upgrade, annoying, irritated would be accurate, but when you can't work and you have deadlines and customers to lose, that is more than annoying, it is 1,000% infuriating, but you don't have time to be infuriated, you are working round the clock trying to fix the havoc caused. System resets, coding work arounds, setting your internet connection on metered, anything to prevent another attempt at an upgrade.
My credentials for saying this: I wrote my first programme at the tender age of 13 in 1965, when Bill Gates was ten. Bill Gates was second choice when IBM selected him for their first PC and personal computers became mainstream. Working for agencies, I often have to use Memoq and Trados, but otherwise I use my own custom built TM software, like the old Trados Workbench, it is written in VBA with a backend database. I use MYSQL. It is WYSIWYG, no tags, no tiny boxes to translate it. Guess what, the zoom wheel works on my mouse.
I am not a person to bear grudges. I admire Bill Gates philanthropy. A class B programmer (he was originally a freelance debugger for IBM) a class A businessman and a decent philanthropist. However, Windows 10 update was really really painful (worse than any virus), a nightmare, over a period of several months. I didn't keep a diary.

As for Mac, well, to migrate my software to a system based on a philosophy of lock the bonnet of the car, whatever you do don't let the creative artists look at the engine or they will freak out. Another thing is my software is designed to let me keep my fingers on the keyboard all the time. Switching to the mouse breaks the rhythm and slows you down. Mouses are not for wordsmiths. And guess who invented the mouse.
Collapse

Michael Beijer

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Lol Apr 4, 2023

James (Jim) Davis wrote:
Mouses are not for wordsmiths.

Something about that really tickles me.

[Edited at 2023-04-04 10:08 GMT]

James (Jim) Davis
Seychelles
Member (2022)
Italian to English
LOL Apr 5, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

James (Jim) Davis wrote:
Mouses are not for wordsmiths.

Something about that really tickles me.

[Edited at 2023-04-04 10:08 GMT]

))

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:59
English to Turkish
It happened to me too Apr 5, 2023

James (Jim) Davis wrote:
My brother a software architect complained he missed a football match because that ....... (large variety of swear words) Microsoft decided to takeover control of his laptop and upgrade to Windows 10 at the start of the match.

It was a few hours before the Liverpool vs. Sevilla Europa League final... it took ages to install, I couldn't watch the match on my computer, but had to move to the next room to watch it on a crappy old TV (Liverpool bottled it like a good 'un). Hated Windows 10 for a while, but then got used to it.

[Edited at 2023-04-05 09:29 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
quick update on how I'm getting on with version 16 Apr 12, 2023

I'm very happy to report that I have been using Dragon 16 now for a couple of weeks and it is no longer crashing or slowing down at all! I'm currently not using any third-party resources for commands (such as KnowBrainer or Vocola), just a few Dragon commands (which all work flawlessly), and Which can be created quickly by just saying "Create new command" and adding a keyboard shortcut or whatever.

I'm also using a good desktop microphone again, a SpeechWare USB 3-in-1 TableM
... See more
I'm very happy to report that I have been using Dragon 16 now for a couple of weeks and it is no longer crashing or slowing down at all! I'm currently not using any third-party resources for commands (such as KnowBrainer or Vocola), just a few Dragon commands (which all work flawlessly), and Which can be created quickly by just saying "Create new command" and adding a keyboard shortcut or whatever.

I'm also using a good desktop microphone again, a SpeechWare USB 3-in-1 TableMike, which may be contributing to Dragon's smooth operation.

I'm currently also running Windows 11 without any third-party antivirus and wondering whether this is why my computer and Dragon are running so smoothly. I can't remember who said it, but some were very knowledgeable in the area of speech recognition told me not to use a third-party antivirus and just stick with the built in one of Windows. I've tried all manner of AV software over the years (the last few were: Norton 360, Kaspersky and ESET), but they always seem to cause more trouble than they're worth.

Also, I can't seem to remember whether this was always the case, but I am getting perfect Select-and-Say functionality in memoQ! That is, the ability to select and act on words in the target box in memoQ.

I don't leave Dragon in listening mode permanently but switch the microphone on and off by pressing the "+" key on my number pad. This might be another reason why everything is running so smoothly as I've been told that leaving Dragon activated for too long can cause issues. If I want to use it, I just quickly tap the "+" key. Incidentally, I can also put Dragon to sleep and wake it up by voice, by saying "Go to sleep" or "Wake up", respectively.

Anyway, just thought that I'd come back with an update as I have been very happily using it for a while now.

CommandBrowser
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Dan Lucas

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
my quick update is also being discussed @ knowbrainer.com/forums Apr 21, 2023

https://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=37171

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
CAT tool-specific Apr 22, 2023

Thanks Michael. If it has enabled you to use Dragon transparently with MemoQ then that alone would seem worth the upgrade. For those of us using a different CAT tool (Studio and Memsource/Phrase here), perhaps the prospect less enticing?

Dan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New ‘Dragon Professional 16’: is it any better than Dragon Professional Individual 15?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »