Thread poster: XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:23
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Nov 8, 2011

I've done an 'Advanced forum search' and couldn't find this topic covered elsewhere.

I look forward to the day when I won't have to preface all SDL questions with: Apologies if this is a dumb question. So here goes:

A client has sent me an .xlz file and told me I can work on it in a XLIFF editor. Can I convert it somehow to be able to work on it in Studio 2009?

MTIA

Xu Dongjun
Xu Dongjun  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 19:23
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
Idiom WorldServer Nov 8, 2011

It's free of charge.

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:23
English to French
+ ...
Opening in Studio? Nov 8, 2011

Did you try opening it directly in Studio? Just curious.

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I can't use Studio then? Nov 8, 2011

stonejohn wrote:

It's free of charge.

Thanks stonejohn. I will look into that but presumably that means I can't use Studio for this?

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did Nov 8, 2011

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

Did you try opening it directly in Studio? Just curious.

Answer: This file type is not supported.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Package Types Nov 8, 2011

Hi Lisa,

*.XLZ is the old package format containing files for translation from Idiom WorldServer. To use this format directly you must have Idiom Desktop which you may be able to get from your Client.

You could ask your Client to prepare the files for Studio instead and then you will receive a package in the format *.WSXZ. For this they must be using Idiom WorldServer version 10. If they have this version there is an added benefit in that Studio 2011 allows you to co
... See more
Hi Lisa,

*.XLZ is the old package format containing files for translation from Idiom WorldServer. To use this format directly you must have Idiom Desktop which you may be able to get from your Client.

You could ask your Client to prepare the files for Studio instead and then you will receive a package in the format *.WSXZ. For this they must be using Idiom WorldServer version 10. If they have this version there is an added benefit in that Studio 2011 allows you to connect directly to the WorldServer TM for concordance and lookup which may also be beneficial for this Project.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Paul Ryan

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly what I needed to know Nov 8, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Lisa,

You could ask your Client to prepare the files for Studio instead and then you will receive a package in the format *.WSXZ. For this they must be using Idiom WorldServer version 10. If they have this version there is an added benefit in that Studio 2011 allows you to connect directly to the WorldServer TM for concordance and lookup which may also be beneficial for this Project.

Regards

Paul

Thank you so much Paul! Will pass that on.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Unzip it? Nov 8, 2011

Lisa Simpson wrote:
A client has sent me an .xlz file and told me I can work on it in a XLIFF editor.

I'm not confident about being able to translate it in any XLIFF editor. If you unzip the file, you'll find an XLF file inside it, which can be opened by an XLIFF editor (possibly Trados 2009 as well).

I know the guys who develop Virtaal worked on a project where Idiom files were involved, and they had to make several adjustments to their XLF filter to make it work. It can't hurt to try their latest version of it.

Marc-André Séguin
Marc-André Séguin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:23
English to French
Solution Jun 26, 2013

Hello!

If your client is limited to sending Idiom Workbench packages (for a product that is no longer supported, it sure is getting a long shelf life!), but you absolutely want to use Studio (you could have your own TMs you want to reuse, or simply prefer an more powerful and flexible tool), here is the solution:

1) Open your .xlz package with WinRAR or any zip utility capable of opening different compressed files. OR rename the extension to .zip.

2) Extra
... See more
Hello!

If your client is limited to sending Idiom Workbench packages (for a product that is no longer supported, it sure is getting a long shelf life!), but you absolutely want to use Studio (you could have your own TMs you want to reuse, or simply prefer an more powerful and flexible tool), here is the solution:

1) Open your .xlz package with WinRAR or any zip utility capable of opening different compressed files. OR rename the extension to .zip.

2) Extract the .xlf file and place it in your project folder.

3) Either right click on the .xlf file and open it with Studio, or create a project in Studio and import it then.

4) Translate your file and save the .sdlxliff in your folder.

5) In Studio, select File - Save Target As, and overwrite the .xlf file.

6) Reopen your .xlz file, and drag the new .xlf file in it using your zip utility. Then close it. (If you had renamed it, make sure to change the extension back to .xlz).

7) Double-click the .xlz file and open it in Workbench.

8) Confirm your segments, either one by one or in batch, en export back to .xlz.

9) Deliver to you client.

I have been using this method for two clients and it works wonderfully.

Let me know if you would like more details, I'd be happy to help.

Marc-André
Collapse

Nektaria Notaridou
Nektaria Notaridou  Identity Verified
English to Greek
+ ...
This is brilliant! Dec 10, 2013

Marc-André, thanks so much! This works perfectly and it makes my life so much easier. Wish I had found your tip earlier!

Houston1
Houston1
United States
My Comments Dec 10, 2013

Yes, all are right that XLZ is the old package format containing files for translation from Idiom WorldServer

Jaco Breytenbach
Jaco Breytenbach
South Africa
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How to safe/convert sdlxliff to .xlz Aug 19, 2015

My client wants me to deliver the translated document as .xlz file. I have done the translation in Studio 2015, but cannot find a function to safe as .xlz
Please help

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jaco Aug 19, 2015

Jaco Breytenbach wrote:
My client wants me to deliver the translated document as .xlz file. I have done the translation in Studio 2015, but cannot find a function to safe as .xlz.

It depends on which program the client uses to create/read the XLZ file (Idiom is only dialect).

I assume you've opened an XLF file in Trados, thus creating an SDLXLIFF file (I can't open an XLZ file in Trados 2011, but I can open the XLF file that comes inside the XLZ file). So, select the option to save the translated file (i.e. generate target file), which should produce an XLF file again.

1. The client may be satisfied with the XLF file.

2. If not, zip the XLF file using the normal PKZIP format (aka WinZip format), and then rename the zip file so that the file extension is "XLZ".

3. If that doesn't work for the client, try renaming the XLF file to "content.xlf" or "workbench_tasks.xlf" before zipping it up.

4. Or, use e.g. 7-zip to open the original XLZ file to see what the XLF file's name was.

5. Or, open a copy of the original XLZ file using 7-zip's file manager, and copy/paste the translated XLF file into it, overwriting the original XLF file.

6. Or, if the XLZ file that you translated was a package file, try creating a return package (right-click project, select option at bottom of menu).

[Edited at 2015-08-19 22:08 GMT]

marcinkucharski
marcinkucharski
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Doesn't work Oct 3, 2016

Hi guys!
In my case the problem is that I cannot translate an xlf file embedded in an xlz package. It does open in Trados, however, after generating the target file, it seems that the final file is the same as the source file. In other words the target segments are not saved by Trados. Do you know why?

Péter Tófalvi
Péter Tófalvi  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
memoQ Jul 14, 2021

marcinkucharski wrote:

Hi guys!
In my case the problem is that I cannot translate an xlf file embedded in an xlz package. It does open in Trados, however, after generating the target file, it seems that the final file is the same as the source file. In other words the target segments are not saved by Trados. Do you know why?

memoQ can open these files, and after you finished translating, just use the Export (with option) function to see where you saved the translated files.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to work on a .xlz file?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »