New Whitehall style guide bans jargon

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "New Whitehall style guide bans jargon".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Mark
Mark
Local time: 22:16
Italian to English
What? Jul 31, 2013

I'd hardly call that jargon. It's just, well, language mostly.

If they need any help with the next draft, I'd suggest:

'Spades shall be referred to as "spades".'

Edit: I should have read the whole thing, obviously. There's definitely some pointless jargon in there too.

[Edited at 2013-07-31 16:00 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
More fudge, Minister? Jul 31, 2013

Banning jargon sounds great at first, but a closer look reveals that the exhortation (or is that also too long and recondite?) not to "use formal or long words when easy or short ones will do" leaves the question of when something "will do" more or less up to the user. Which I suppose is OK, since now we can decide when we want to be formal or not.

However, the instructions to "use ‘buy’ instead of ‘purchase’, ‘help’ instead of ‘assist’, ‘about’ instead of ‘ap
... See more
Banning jargon sounds great at first, but a closer look reveals that the exhortation (or is that also too long and recondite?) not to "use formal or long words when easy or short ones will do" leaves the question of when something "will do" more or less up to the user. Which I suppose is OK, since now we can decide when we want to be formal or not.

However, the instructions to "use ‘buy’ instead of ‘purchase’, ‘help’ instead of ‘assist’, ‘about’ instead of ‘approximately’ and ‘like’ instead of ‘such as’"... is simply telling us to ignore the time-honoured difference between formal and informal registers. In other words, it's not just simplifying, but dumbing down to suit the lowest common denominator. Like telling those unfortunates among us who can't handle the apostrophe to just leave them out. A cop out, however well-intentioned. A fudge. Good for a laugh if nothing else.
Collapse

Inge Luus
Inge Luus  Identity Verified
South Africa
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
Just write any old how Aug 2, 2013

So, I suppose that now instead of "receiving grants such as childcare grants", it is now in order to say "get grants like childcare grants". As translators, translating into "native" English, I suppose that puts us off the hook from trying to get that phrase just right, and we can now, literally, write the first thing that comes to mind (??). Assuming, of course, that these guidelines filter into all writing...

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Could someone please send them a copy of Plain Words? Aug 2, 2013

Sir Ernest Gowers must be rolling in his grave!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Plain-Words-Ernest-Gowers/dp/0140511997

I have not got hold of the original books from 1948 and about 1954...
But I still treasure my copy, revised by Sir Bruce Fraser, Pelican 1973.

The latest revision by Greenbaum and Whitcut is shorter,
... See more
Sir Ernest Gowers must be rolling in his grave!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Plain-Words-Ernest-Gowers/dp/0140511997

I have not got hold of the original books from 1948 and about 1954...
But I still treasure my copy, revised by Sir Bruce Fraser, Pelican 1973.

The latest revision by Greenbaum and Whitcut is shorter, but retains the spirit of the original - allowing for good style and clarity without dumbing down.

Sir Ernest Gowers (1880 - 1966) knew from extensive practical experience what he was doing, and both books are healthy - and quite entertaining - goodnight reading.

There is a 'buzz phrase generator', attributed to the Canadian Defence Department, in the earlier book under a section 'For Amusement only'.

The modern version includes a list of 'Words to be used with caution' - and explains why. But it does not forbid their use.

The new book is money well spent - and no one could call it expensive...
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:16
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Is it still OK to deliver babies Aug 2, 2013

even if they don't fit into a pizza box or a regular envelope?

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:46
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
So not only non-natives murder the English language Aug 3, 2013

The government of uk seems to be an equal front runner in this enterprise!

Balasubramaniam L.
India
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Probably not Aug 3, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Is it still OK to deliver babies

You will have to give birth to them, now, or bring a child into the world, unless you would prefer(or rather the gov, of uk would prefer) to litter a child. But it might not, then, for you litter garbage, not children.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:16
Hebrew to English
The Whitehall Bubble Aug 3, 2013

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

Well, they're hardly "murdering" the language by issuing a few directives about plain language use in a VERY RESTRICTED context. No doubt there's some throwing out of the baby with the bathwater, but quite a lot of those words and phrases are quite hated (for example"going forward" has a very bad rep)

Who cares how they phrase things in the Whitehall bubble? Nobody listens to them anyway.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Nicole do you not read the newspapers? Aug 3, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:
Is it still OK to deliver babies

The jargon is "to be delivered of a baby", please! Did you miss out on all the buzz about the Hallowed Royal Baby???

Those of us who are interested in childbirth found that expression extremely weird and concluded that it meant they did a C-section, given the passive tense.

Turns out she had a totally natural birth, no painkillers, nuffink. They could have announced that Kate "gave birth", to honour her proactive stance with language to reflect what actually happened.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Bala might just be agreeing for once... Aug 3, 2013

Ty Kendall wrote:

Well, they're hardly "murdering" the language by issuing a few directives about plain language use in a VERY RESTRICTED context.

To be fair, Ty, Bala might just mean that all the "going forwards" are what is murdering the language. So deciding forthwith that we must no longer assist the going forward approach would actually mean that you agree somewhat?

Ty Kendall wrote:

No doubt there's some throwing out of the baby with the bathwater,

and please, I don't care for the royal family in the least but let's not throw little Georgie Boy out with the bath water, he's still an innocent little mite!

Balasubramaniam L.
India
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
The Whitehall Bubble Effect Aug 4, 2013

Ty Kendall wrote:

Well, it seems to be having quite an effect on your English at any rate.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:16
Hebrew to English
Enlighten me... Aug 4, 2013

Ty Kendall wrote:

Well, it seems to be having quite an effect on your English at any rate.

How so?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Whitehall style guide bans jargon

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »