Linguee to launch in other languages today

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Linguee to launch in other languages today".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

anita legname
anita legname  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:49
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
Linguee to launch in other languages today Source: Musings from an overworked translator Dec 12, 2013

All translators should be in touch with Linguee.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Linguee Dec 12, 2013

Linguee used to be a valuable tool, but now (at least for into English) it is mostly unusable and unreliable as a resource because it is so filled with non-native translations that most of the time it is easier to search elsewhere.

anita legname wrote:

All translators should be in touch with Linguee.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 14:49
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
My thought too. Dec 13, 2013

It is not available for Danish, my source language, but if I was offered a corpus like that, I would be extremely cautious about using it, simply because there is so much just-about-usable but non-native Danish to English about.

I've been proofing all day and my head hurts!

It's clunky and really does not do justice to the source language. There are mistakes too.

This happens when non-natives are good at a language for practical, often spoken purposes. You
... See more
It is not available for Danish, my source language, but if I was offered a corpus like that, I would be extremely cautious about using it, simply because there is so much just-about-usable but non-native Danish to English about.

I've been proofing all day and my head hurts!

It's clunky and really does not do justice to the source language. There are mistakes too.

This happens when non-natives are good at a language for practical, often spoken purposes. You have to live with it, because it would not be realistic to edit all the material that is here today and mulched or deleted tomorrow.

For a system like Linguee to be really useful, some sort of filter should be applied, to separate out the low quality texts. Otherwise it will become too unreliable to be any real use.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Still good in English-Spanish and German-Spanish Dec 13, 2013

I use Linguee mostly to find legislation, and so far EurLex and other sources are looking good. A very useful resource, and a free one. Thank you Linguee!

Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB
Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB
Germany
Member (2012)
Japanese to English
+ ...
User input required Dec 13, 2013

Christine Andersen wrote:
For a system like Linguee to be really useful, some sort of filter should be applied, to separate out the low quality texts. Otherwise it will become too unreliable to be any real use.

Christine,

Users can vote texts down due to low quality - one of the better functions.
We're in danger of coming across low quality texts when using any tool (even online dictionaries that match up text segments have this problem, and I know I've come across paper-based references that are also not great), but Linguee requires users to make some kind of contribution to the site as it is provided for free, which I think is a good thing.

Having this kind of user interaction is what differentiates Linguee from purely machine-based match-up tools in my opinion. I've found it very useful - and sure, you have to use your discretion (as with any other resource), but good translators always do.

Sarai

Rob Prior
Rob Prior
Germany
German to English
I use Linguee a fair bit Dec 13, 2013

If you use a bit of common sense and discretion, it can be very useful. The EurLex entries are handy although some entries look like they have just been put through google. Would be interesting to find out if/how translations are vetted before they are entered into the corpus. My guess is that they aren't.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Linguee to launch in other languages today Dec 14, 2013

Thanks, I did not know that. I will be busy.

Sarai Pahla wrote:

Users can vote texts down due to low quality - one of the better functions.

Sarai

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:49
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Love it in my pairs, happy to see it grow Dec 14, 2013

I'm a big fan. It is a well thought out resource. Not perfect, but helpful and as this expansion shows, scalable. Yes, I agree that it can't the the sole resource, that it shouldn't form the basis of a translation. However, it is certainly good to see, how others have translated a similar phrase. Of course it can be abused by people, who are not able to discern right from wrong. But some people using it in a sloppy way doesn't make the product bad.

Rob Prior wrote:

Would be interesting to find out if/how translations are vetted before they are entered into the corpus. My guess is that they aren't.

This is why you are invited to vote them up or down. The actual dictionary entries (which you can suggest at any point) are vetted, the context matches are automatically generated, but the votes affect the ranking. By participating in improving the resource in that way, you are rewarded by the ads being removed, which speeds up your own experience.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Linguee to launch in other languages today

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »