Italy
Local time: 08:42
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the heads-up, Jennifer Sep 27, 2023

Thanks, Jennifer.

Very useful, especially for the tech-illiterate like yours truly.

Interesting, especially this bit,

Jennifer Levey wrote:
When I saw that thread, I checked my profile and discovered that my data was exposed to the API (and I don't recall ever having agreed to it). I reset it to 'Exclude' or 'Don't allow' for everything except regular search engines (Google, Bing, etc) - and have received much less spam from Proz since then.

On reading the present thread, I returned to my profile and discovered that the 'reject' settings I'd set just a few weeks ago had been turned back to 'allow'.

I'll make sure to check the above on a regular basis. Thanks again for posting this.

I've now noticed, and you Jennifer before me, Zea_Mays has posted about API and ProZ in this other thread,
https://www2.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/363637-regarding_proz_rest_api_freelancer_match_connection.html

Edited to add link to API-related thread.

Why is ProZ notifying me of the number of posts I contribute to this thread, which I started? Is that a warning?

[Edited at 2023-09-27 15:30 GMT]

Zea_Mays
Philip Lees
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:42
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
another bug? Sep 27, 2023

Jennifer Levey wrote:

When I saw that thread, I checked my profile and discovered that my data was exposed to the API (and I don't recall ever having agreed to it). I reset it to 'Exclude' or 'Don't allow' for everything except regular search engines (Google, Bing, etc) - and have received much less spam from Proz since then.

On reading the present thread, I returned to my profile and discovered that the 'reject' settings I'd set just a few weeks ago had been turned back to 'allow'.

For those of us who have forgotten about this 'Proz-authorised directory-scraping' API, the published details are here: https://www.proz.com/api?phpv_redirected=1
and you can opt out of allowing your data to be shared through the API here:
https://www2.proz.com/consent-settings
then click on "Control where your profile is published" in the "Profile data" box.
Or at least, that's the theory - there seems to be no guarantee that your opt-out settings will 'stick'.
HTH

Hi Jennifer, this may be a bug you could file in this thread: https://www2.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/363604-bugs_in_the_website_staff_developers_are_looking_into_it.html

Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:42
Japanese to English
+ ...
job posts Sep 27, 2023

About a year ago, i applied for a legal translation position with a company seemingly located in Washington, D.C. The person who eventually contacted me was located, I found out, in Ghaziabad, Utter Pradesh, India (or Bharat, as we are now instructed to say). Needless to say, I did not proceed. An interesting geography lesson nonetheless. The -bad suffix indicating Mughal influence.

Lingua 5B
Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 09:42
Greek to English
Inclusive Sep 28, 2023

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Why is ProZ notifying me of the number of posts I contribute to this thread, which I started? Is that a warning?

I noticed that myself recently. It appears to be a new forum feature - no doubt in response to massive public demand.

Irony aside, the ProZ idea of a forum discussion seems to be that each person should express their opinion, once, in two or three sentences, then everybody else should nod politely and move on.

It may only be a matter of time until the only forum discussions allowed are those labelled "Inclusive" (not an English word, but a ProZish term meaning "limited" or "constrained").

Barbara Carrara
ibz
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two identical job posts

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »