Membership and certification for both ATA and CIOL: any possible redundancies?
Thread poster: William Hepner
William Hepner
William Hepner  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:32
Member (2022)
Spanish to English
Sep 21, 2022

The topic explains my concern: I'm interested in professional development and getting certifications from at least one of the above membership bodies, but I wanted to ask first, especially since the exam and membership fees can really add up.

Does anyone have experience with getting both certifications, or with having membership in both organizations, and if so, have you found it fruitful or worth the money and time invested?

As an American, I understand that the ATA c
... See more
The topic explains my concern: I'm interested in professional development and getting certifications from at least one of the above membership bodies, but I wanted to ask first, especially since the exam and membership fees can really add up.

Does anyone have experience with getting both certifications, or with having membership in both organizations, and if so, have you found it fruitful or worth the money and time invested?

As an American, I understand that the ATA certification is the most relevant, but the CIOL could be useful if I'm working with, for instance, companies based in Europe (and more specifically, in Spain). With that said, any and all information about your experiences with either of the above organizations is welcome and appreciated should you take the time to offer it. I'm interested in personal stories and whatever I can't find by researching furiously on the Internet.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:32
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@William Sep 25, 2022

I’ve been translating for over 40 years and no client of mine has ever asked me if I was a member of this or that organization. I must say that, unless a potential client comes to me by word of mouth, for the most part I don’t know why I am chosen. I started translating full-time in Belgium where I lived for 20 years and as then my main language combination was FR-PT I saw no interest in becoming a CIAL member. Over the years, things changed and EN-PT became my main language combination, so ... See more
I’ve been translating for over 40 years and no client of mine has ever asked me if I was a member of this or that organization. I must say that, unless a potential client comes to me by word of mouth, for the most part I don’t know why I am chosen. I started translating full-time in Belgium where I lived for 20 years and as then my main language combination was FR-PT I saw no interest in becoming a CIAL member. Over the years, things changed and EN-PT became my main language combination, so as I had many British clients but only one or two American clients I “tried my hand” at ATA with some success. Since then, I have been contacted by specific American companies and agencies looking for a Portuguese translator. Good luck!Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Membership and certification for both ATA and CIOL: any possible redundancies?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »