Is there an European Translators' Association?
Thread poster: Anmol
Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 20:47
Jan 28, 2006

Is there such an organization? Since I did not find anything by googling, I assume not.

Does anyone have any comparative feedback as regards membership in IOL, ITI, or ADUE? Are there any other prominent international or regional translation associations based in Europe? Since one cannot become a member of every association, this comparative feedback would be useful in zeroing in on membership of one of these associations.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:17
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
ITI vs IoL Jan 28, 2006

I belong to both the ITI and the IoL. If I had to choose only one of them, it would be the ITI, because its main concern is for translators and interpreters, whereas the IoL, though it covers these fields, has a lot of teachers and university professors among its membership and is thus less concentrated on our needs. But both have their good points.
Sorry, I don't know anything about the ADÜ.

Elizabeth Rudin
Elizabeth Rudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:17
Member (2005)
Hungarian to English
+ ...
ITI/IOL Jan 28, 2006

I agree with Jack – I also find the ITI more useful than the IoL. Over the years, most of my clients found me through the ITI directory, although some found my details in the IoL Find-a-Linguist database. Both institutions have excellent publications and professional development schemes/courses. The IoL will soon offer its members the “chartere... See more
I agree with Jack – I also find the ITI more useful than the IoL. Over the years, most of my clients found me through the ITI directory, although some found my details in the IoL Find-a-Linguist database. Both institutions have excellent publications and professional development schemes/courses. The IoL will soon offer its members the “chartered linguist” status (more info: http://www.ptreasuredsl.clara.net/linguist_4_2005/director.htm), but the ITI will soon catch up with that. Of the two, I would definitely recommend the ITI.Collapse

Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 20:47
TOPIC STARTER
List of translator associations Feb 22, 2006

Here's one of the most useful lists of translator associations I found while researching the Web. It's none other than...

the list on ProZ.com!

http://www.proz.com/translator_associations

I found this list to be even more exhaustive than the list on the FIT site. Since there is no European Translator's association on this list, I guess in a way that answ
... See more
Here's one of the most useful lists of translator associations I found while researching the Web. It's none other than...

the list on ProZ.com!

http://www.proz.com/translator_associations

I found this list to be even more exhaustive than the list on the FIT site. Since there is no European Translator's association on this list, I guess in a way that answers the primary question.

[Edited at 2006-02-23 13:43]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there an European Translators' Association?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »