Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Two translators in a couple: good or bad idea?
Thread poster: Charles Lucien Melingui
Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:41
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Exaxtly, and you may call this approach ... Oct 29, 2021

expressisverbis wrote:

Gerard Barry wrote:

... having knowledge of foreign cultures does not necessarily make someone fun and interesting to be around.

Besides many other advantages, learning about other cultures allows you to move outside your own bubble, and find new ways of thinking

...true querdenking!

[Bearbeitet am 2021-10-29 21:27 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Christel Zipfel
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:41
Dutch to English
+ ...
It's true .. Oct 30, 2021

Gerard Barry wrote:

Rachel Waddington wrote:

Gerard Barry wrote:

For me, opposites attract so I'd prefer to date/marry someone in a completely different line of work. Most translators I know are painfully boring, pedantic nerds and therefore in my eyes extremely unattractive.

Most translators I know are well-educated, interesting people with a wide knowledge of different cultures.

Mind you, I am spending my Saturday morning watching a lecture about moisture in walls, so ...

[Edited at 2021-10-23 11:13 GMT]

... having knowledge of foreign cultures does not necessarily make someone fun and interesting to be around.

We're all different. We all have different criteria for our life partners. Being educated and interested in the world around us is high up on my list of priorities. But you are right ... it doesn't necessarily make you fun at a party.

expressisverbis
Baran Keki

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
In my experience… Oct 30, 2021

… whether I find people interesting or dull, fun or boring, attractive or unattractive, is largely dependent on my own mood, which affects how they respond to me.

So if you find everyone around you dull, it’s probably not them but the effect you’re having on them.

Whereas if you spread joy and happiness, as I unfailingly do on here, everyone else will follow suit in a virtuous circle.

I think I need to diversify into life coaching.

Thomas T. Frost
Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Kay Denney
Rachel Waddington
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:41
English to Turkish
Do you know this Oct 30, 2021

Gerard Barry wrote:

because you live in Germany?

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Matthias Brombach

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Oct 30, 2021

Rachel Waddington wrote:

We're all different. We all have different criteria for our life partners. Being educated and interested in the world around us is high up on my list of priorities. But you are right ... it doesn't necessarily make you fun at a party.

"You will always find me in the kitchen at parties" because that's where the food and drink is, and the music's not so loud so you can have an interesting conversation with someone.
If there's nobody interesting, I'll head back and hassle the DJ to put something on that I can dance wildly to.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Christine Andersen
J.E.Sunseri

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
... Oct 31, 2021

Solved. Sorry, Baran.

[Bearbeitet am 2021-10-31 11:11 GMT]

Baran Keki

Abba Storgen (X)
Abba Storgen (X)
United States
Local time: 01:41
Greek to English
+ ...
Huge financial risk Oct 31, 2021

Huge risk for both to depend on the same job or even industry. Full time translators with the highest tech of each period, saw significant drop in "per hour income" the last 20 years. A spouse in a different profession can provide a necessary safety net for a while. Major agencies are preparing to move much of current PMTE to "Light PMTE" by the end of next year, with rates that you will think are typos. Small and decent agencies exist, but not enough volume for full timers.

Matthias Brombach

Abba Storgen (X)
Abba Storgen (X)
United States
Local time: 01:41
Greek to English
+ ...
"Vast knowledge"? Oct 31, 2021

Rachel Waddington wrote:
Most translators I know are well-educated... with a wide knowledge of different cultures.

Two cultures at best, with loads of assumptions based on linguistic aspects. Sounds exciting in the beginning, ends up like a repeat of National Geographic (without the pictures). Much better in the past, higher rates provided more free time to make one's persona more interesting.

Gerard Barry

Charles Lucien Melingui
Charles Lucien Melingui  Identity Verified
Cameroon
Local time: 07:41
Member (2021)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is there a need for a Miss Translator election? Oct 31, 2021

Gerard Barry wrote:

For me, opposites attract so I'd prefer to date/marry someone in a completely different line of work. Most translators I know are painfully boring, pedantic nerds and therefore in my eyes extremely unattractive.
Is there a need for a Miss Translator election?
when you say that most translators are unattractive?
No offense, but how many translators have you met in person? Or at least how many translators have you visited on Facebook?
If you have limited yourself to the profile pictures that are submitted on proz for professional reasons then you may be right to say that translators are unattractive both male and female. But whatever the hypotheses, the human being (the translator) is still beautiful.

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Misunderstanding, again. Oct 31, 2021

Matthias Brombach wrote:
... because he either seeks no companionship at all or companionship with people who show the attitude you assume all Germans have (they don't). Maybe that's your personal lack of a foreign culture, Baran?

I just thought it curious that he chooses to live in a country he apparently doesn't like very much, instead of his native Ireland. Sorry if my post wasn't clear enough.

Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis
Kay Denney
P.L.F. Persio

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
He chooses to ... Oct 31, 2021

Baran Keki wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:
... because he either seeks no companionship at all or companionship with people who show the attitude you assume all Germans have (they don't). Maybe that's your personal lack of a foreign culture, Baran?

I just thought it curious that he chooses to live in a country he apparently doesn't like very much, instead of his native Ireland. Sorry if my post wasn't clear enough.

... live in Germany because he wanted to work as an inhouse translator and there are almost no in-house positions for translators in Ireland.

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Makes sense then Oct 31, 2021

Gerard Barry wrote:
... live in Germany because he wanted to work as an inhouse translator and there are almost no in-house positions for translators in Ireland.

Don't take this the wrong way, but for an in-house translator you seem to spend quite a bit of time on this website. I mean, I worked as an in-house translator for 10 years between 2007 and 2017, and it never once occurred to me to consciously visit Proz.com. I wish it had though, I would've started freelancing a lot earlier... Seriously, what use is this website to you as an in-house?

expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach
Abba Storgen (X)

Kay Denney
France
French to English
. Nov 1, 2021

Charles Lucien Melingui wrote:

Gerard Barry wrote:

Is there a need for a Miss Translator election?
when you say that most translators are unattractive?
No offense, but how many translators have you met in person? Or at least how many translators have you visited on Facebook?
If you have limited yourself to the profile pictures that are submitted on proz for professional reasons then you may be right to say that translators are unattractive both male and female. But whatever the hypotheses, the human being (the translator) is still beautiful.

To be fair, Gerard did say he found translators unattractive (without specifying gender) because they were "painfully boring, pedantic nerds" not because they are ugly.

Gerard Barry
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Kay Denney
France
French to English
. Nov 1, 2021

Eleftherios Kritikakis wrote:

Two cultures at best, with loads of assumptions based on linguistic aspects. Sounds exciting in the beginning, ends up like a repeat of National Geographic (without the pictures).

A short while ago, my son featured in a "Humans of..." FB page and garnered record numbers of likes with his interview where he started by answering the question "where are you from?" with "I don't know" and went on to describe his parents exercising the diplomacy of UN diplomats to discuss dinner menus, enjoying the festivals of his birth country, mother's birth country and father's birth country, and revelling in the fact that with his looks he can blend into lots of different cultures. He concluded that he felt more like a "citizen of the world" than anything written in his various passports. At that point, I truly felt I had succeeded as a mother.

Eleftherios Kritikakis wrote:
more free time to make one's persona more interesting.

What??? OK if you have more time you can go to more exhibitions, museums, see more films, read more books, travel to more countries. Or you can decide to only do interesting work so that you can talk about that without people's eyes glazing over. But whatever, some of the most interesting people I know are people on minimum revenue, maybe because money is not the only thing they're interested in.

Rachel Waddington
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Kay Denney
France
French to English
. Nov 1, 2021

Baran Keki wrote:

Don't take this the wrong way, but for an in-house translator you seem to spend quite a bit of time on this website. I mean, I worked as an in-house translator for 10 years between 2007 and 2017, and it never once occurred to me to consciously visit Proz.com. I wish it had though, I would've started freelancing a lot earlier... Seriously, what use is this website to you as an in-house?

To be fair, there's nothing on this website that says it's for freelancers only. I lurked here for ages as an in-house translator. I first started looking at discussions on kudoz about terms I needed to translate. I read the forums looking for info about translation software (because the agency needed to invest), and got plenty more than I had imagined. When the agency was bought out by another, I looked for info about the other agency here. As a PM, I looked for translators when we had a job none of our regulars could handle. When a translator gave us a bad WWA ranking, I was able to explain what it was about to the boss (he paid up promptly at that point). I asked a couple of questions in these forums - I don't remember what they were about, but they were not out of place. I do remember somebody just spontaneously telling me how much I should be charging for one job I was asking about, which made me laugh because obviously I didn't need to know about rates. This same person had pointedly said that people don't name their rates here on previous threads, so it was all the funnier.

So you see there's plenty here for in-house translators, even if the majority are free-lancers.

I'll admit that I also learned a lot about freelancing here. I too could have started freelancing ages before I actually did, but there was always a good reason not to. When I did finally strike out on my own, I knew exactly what I had to do, thanks mostly to Sheila's contributions.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Baran Keki
Arabic & More

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two translators in a couple: good or bad idea?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »