Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Two translators in a couple: good or bad idea?
Thread poster: Charles Lucien Melingui
Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
Local time: 12:32
German to English
Lack of work Nov 1, 2021

Baran Keki wrote:

Gerard Barry wrote:
... live in Germany because he wanted to work as an inhouse translator and there are almost no in-house positions for translators in Ireland.

Don't take this the wrong way, but for an in-house translator you seem to spend quite a bit of time on this website. I mean, I worked as an in-house translator for 10 years between 2007 and 2017, and it never once occurred to me to consciously visit Proz.com. I wish it had though, I would've started freelancing a lot earlier... Seriously, what use is this website to you as an in-house?

I'm often very under-worked in my job so I spend a lot of time on the Internet:)

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Speak for yourself, Mr. Melingui Nov 1, 2021

Charles Lucien Melingui wrote:

(...) you may be right to say that translators are unattractive both male and female. But whatever the hypotheses, the human being (the translator) is still beautiful.

I'm a total babe.

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Kay Denney
Kevin Fulton
Baran Keki
Matthias Brombach
Adieu

Charles Lucien Melingui
Charles Lucien Melingui  Identity Verified
Cameroon
Local time: 11:32
Member (2021)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
understand me Nov 1, 2021

P.L.F. Persio wrote:

Charles Lucien Melingui wrote:

(...) you may be right to say that translators are unattractive both male and female. But whatever the hypotheses, the human being (the translator) is still beautiful.

I'm a total babe.
I defend the intelligence and beauty of translators. I do not agree with those who think translators are always stressed and unattractive

P.L.F. Persio
Rachel Waddington
expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Too human Nov 1, 2021

If I didn't like humans or indeed translators or translation, I wouldn't linger in a translators forum, but whatever floats anyone's boat.

Opposites attract, sometimes.

Generalizations, hardly ever.

[Edited at 2021-11-01 10:58 GMT]

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Rachel Waddington

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
How many translators does it take to ... Nov 1, 2021

Maybe Gerard and Eleftherios would be happier if there were three translators in the relationship?

(The extra one to check for typos on the light bulb, obviously.)

expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Next question and adapted to... Nov 2, 2021

... the current situation (not only in Brazil) should be "two post editors in a couple", followed by "two post editors in a couple, with eight children". Marx was right, wasn't he?

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Tony Keily
Adieu

Abba Storgen (X)
Abba Storgen (X)
United States
Local time: 05:32
Greek to English
+ ...
Make that "Light MTPE" Nov 2, 2021

Matthias Brombach wrote:
... the current situation (not only in Brazil) should be "two post editors in a couple"

By end of 2022, 90% or so will be "Light MTPE". Hard enough to be a free-lance single full-time translator nowadays, let alone both spouses. It's financial and career suicide, unless they have steady passive income or the entire village is poor so they wouldn't mind.

Abba Storgen (X)
Abba Storgen (X)
United States
Local time: 05:32
Greek to English
+ ...
Who's getting paid for these "Surveys" and what results do they want? Nov 2, 2021

Someone is getting paid to provide the results of these Surveys (the internet is full of "free work"). Proz.com also needs to specify what results they want: Accurate and honest OR Pleasant only. If they want accurate and honest, Gerard is in. If they want "Pleasant only", we can write software that responds automatically.

Gerard Barry

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I challenge you, sir, to a duel Nov 3, 2021

Eleftherios Kritikakis wrote:
By end of 2022, 90% or so will be "Light MTPE”.

You continue to present your jaded opinions as facts and your apocalyptic predictions as certainties, but do you really have the inside line on all this? Are you willing to put your money where your mouth is?

Ten grand says you’re wrong.

Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio

Charles Lucien Melingui
Charles Lucien Melingui  Identity Verified
Cameroon
Local time: 11:32
Member (2021)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
fans only Dec 6, 2021

Abba Storgen (X) wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:
... the current situation (not only in Brazil) should be "two post editors in a couple"

By end of 2022, 90% or so will be "Light MTPE". Hard enough to be a free-lance single full-time translator nowadays, let alone both spouses. It's financial and career suicide, unless they have steady passive income or the entire village is poor so they wouldn't mind.

this topic is only for translation fans only!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two translators in a couple: good or bad idea?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »