Marcia Nunziato
Marcia Nunziato  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:03
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
May 4, 2022

Hi all,

I`ve been working exclusively as a freelance translator since 2019 and business have been changing a lot every month/season.

Of course I know transation business is very inconstant, but it is hard to pay the bills sometimes..

I have approx. 10 regular customers and they usually keep me somewhat busy, but in the last times jobs are becoming rare.

How is your experience? Do you have any indication of good sites to find translation/review
... See more
Hi all,

I`ve been working exclusively as a freelance translator since 2019 and business have been changing a lot every month/season.

Of course I know transation business is very inconstant, but it is hard to pay the bills sometimes..

I have approx. 10 regular customers and they usually keep me somewhat busy, but in the last times jobs are becoming rare.

How is your experience? Do you have any indication of good sites to find translation/review jobs?

Have a wondeful day!

[Modifié le 2022-05-04 15:01 GMT]
Collapse

Ahmad Shirzadi
Eric Azevedo

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:03
English to Turkish
Just out of interest May 4, 2022

Marcia Nunziato wrote:
I`ve been working exclusively as a freelance translator since 2019

If you've been working since 2019, then why have you been paying an annual membership fee to this website since 2007? I know it's none of my business, but it really doesn't make any sense...
As for good sites to find translation/review jobs, this website must have been the best around the time you became a paid member (and a good ten years thereafter), and I guess it's still better than most other freelance websites.

Barbara Carrara
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Angie Garbarino

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Slow for Translators Lately? May 4, 2022

I have not been getting much job requests lately, either. Especially since Covid outbreak, it has been extremely slow in terms of business. I put my CV/resume at a few translation agency websites but did not hear from them. Then again, one of the best ways is to follow the job postings at ProZ, and actively apply. I have not done much of that, either. I am not sure if it is slow for other translators as well.

I just took the liberty to take a look at your CV/resume at ProZ. It
... See more
I have not been getting much job requests lately, either. Especially since Covid outbreak, it has been extremely slow in terms of business. I put my CV/resume at a few translation agency websites but did not hear from them. Then again, one of the best ways is to follow the job postings at ProZ, and actively apply. I have not done much of that, either. I am not sure if it is slow for other translators as well.

I just took the liberty to take a look at your CV/resume at ProZ. It is 4 pages long, and that might be too long for anybody. For example, mine is only 1 page. I think most busy people do not spend the time it takes to read a 4-page CV/resume due to their heavy schedules. A shorter CV/resume with a punch could have more impact on clients than a 4-page CV/resume. That is my idea, anyhow.
Collapse

Marcia Nunziato
Jorge Payan

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
10 customers — lucky you are May 4, 2022

Marcia Nunziato wrote:
I have approx. 10 regular customers...
I had one brilliant customer (US) that was more than enough to make living. Now I have none. Most Russian agencies have drastically dropped their rates (even though they never been high) when the crisis broke out. The only thing that saves me now is my little benefit related to health issues. I am gradually diversifying to photography now.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:03
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Sources of clients May 4, 2022

In my experience, the 2 best sources of clients have been:

- the Blue Board, for agencies

- translators who are full-time employees of large companies and who translate in the opposite direction in my language pair. I have got several direct clients this way.

It takes constant marketing to build up and maintain an adequate clientele, and results tend to come about 6 months later.

Marcia Nunziato
Jorge Payan
Ahmad Shirzadi
Rex Su
Thayenga

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sometimes... May 5, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:
Marcia Nunziato wrote:
I`ve been working exclusively as a freelance translator since 2019

If you've been working since 2019, then why have you been paying an annual membership fee to this website since 2007?

Sometimes the answer to one's question is in the person's résumé. For example, in this case. (-: There is nothing odd about being a paying member of ProZ.com and a part-time freelancer at the same time. ProZ.com is not only for full-time freelancers.

Marcia Nunziato wrote:
I have approx. 10 regular customers and they usually keep me somewhat busy, but in the last times jobs are becoming rare. ... Do you have any indication of good sites to find translation/review jobs?

I'm afraid I'm so established by now that I almost never do any marketing anymore, but there were times when I felt that I needed more clients, and that is when I sent out résumés to or completed online application forms for translation agencies. For this, you can use the Blue Board, where you can easily see which agencies are worth applying to. You need to apply to hundreds of them -- this is an unfortunate part of starting up as a full-time freelance translator.

Lieven Malaise
Robin LEPLUMEY
Joe France
Marcia Nunziato
Jorge Payan
Eric Azevedo

Sabrina Ciserchia
Sabrina Ciserchia  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
See what's happening with your clients May 5, 2022

Marcia Nunziato wrote:

[Modifié le 2022-05-04 15:01 GMT]

Marcia, did you ask your clients about their regular workflow? I think it's a good idea to stay in touch with customers when they disappear for a while, without being pushy of course, just to check if there were any issues with your past work or anything. And it's a good way to remind them that you are available for work.

Just my two cents. Hope it helps! =)

Robin LEPLUMEY
Marcia Nunziato
Eric Azevedo
Angie Garbarino
Thayenga

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get more jobs

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »