Studio 2009 Freelance or MemoQ - convince me!
Téma indítója: Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
holland - német
+ ...
Aug 4, 2009

I am planning to invest in another CAT tool to use besides Deja Vu X (which covered my needs so far and will be used as my main tool as long as it lasts). I am not considering other tools at this time (Java-based tools are not my cup of tea, Wordfast Pro is too primitive in comparison to what I am used to and Transit & Across offer too little compatibility).
Please help me make a balanced decision which one to buy (first). It's productivity that counts for me. Clients' preferences are not
... See more
I am planning to invest in another CAT tool to use besides Deja Vu X (which covered my needs so far and will be used as my main tool as long as it lasts). I am not considering other tools at this time (Java-based tools are not my cup of tea, Wordfast Pro is too primitive in comparison to what I am used to and Transit & Across offer too little compatibility).
Please help me make a balanced decision which one to buy (first). It's productivity that counts for me. Clients' preferences are not a selling argument for me.
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 08:06
német - angol
Transitioning to MemoQ Aug 4, 2009

Although I'm an enthusiastic user of DVX, and a user of Trados/SDL products by necessity, recent reports about Trados Studio 2009 (or whatever it's called) convinced me that the developer has "jumped the shark." The numerous reports of installation issues/bugs have convinced me that the future lies elsewhere.

I downloaded a trial version of MemoQ a while back (fully-featured for 45 days; limited to 1 TM, 1 term base after that) and tried a few small projects. Importing/exporting pro
... See more
Although I'm an enthusiastic user of DVX, and a user of Trados/SDL products by necessity, recent reports about Trados Studio 2009 (or whatever it's called) convinced me that the developer has "jumped the shark." The numerous reports of installation issues/bugs have convinced me that the future lies elsewhere.

I downloaded a trial version of MemoQ a while back (fully-featured for 45 days; limited to 1 TM, 1 term base after that) and tried a few small projects. Importing/exporting projects went smoothly, and I managed to crash the program only once (I had DVX, TagEditor, Workbench and MemoQ running concurrently, so I was asking for trouble).

The program has good QA features (could never get the QA function to work in TagEditor) that could use a little improvement (such as updating after fixing problems). Brother Lossner recently posted a link to a file he created that allowed the user to employ DVX shortcuts when working with MemoQ.

One DVX feature I miss is the Lexicon. I recently completed a project in MemoQ involving the description of multiple resistor/wiring connections. Since I'm given to transposing number/letters when working fast, I'd rather enter recurring terms/identifications once accurately, then let the lexicon insert them thereafter. Since I'm unlikely to encounter these resistors/wiring connections again, I'd rather not have them take up space in my terminology database.

Support is very good, reminiscent of Atril when the late Emilio Benito was still alive. The developers are very active on the Yahoo group.

I'm a stick-in-the-mud when it comes to switching software, but I'm finding the transition from TagEditor/Workbench to be painless. No compatibility problems so far.
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spanyolország
Local time: 14:06
ProZ.com-tag
angol - francia
Off topic: 2007 Freelance and MemoQ Aug 4, 2009

Hello,
Just to start the thread: my experience regards SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance.
I use CAT tools for everything related to translation.

For small jobs for which I already have a Trados memory, I use Trados because setting up a project simply requires opening TagEditor and the right TM in a few clicks.
It is also possible to create a new project very quickly for small files in MemoQ if you fill in minimal information at project creation stage. However, I fi
... See more
Hello,
Just to start the thread: my experience regards SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance.
I use CAT tools for everything related to translation.

For small jobs for which I already have a Trados memory, I use Trados because setting up a project simply requires opening TagEditor and the right TM in a few clicks.
It is also possible to create a new project very quickly for small files in MemoQ if you fill in minimal information at project creation stage. However, I find the whole process a bit clumsy (like killing a fly with a rocket launcher, and I don't like leaving information fields blank) for a few hundred words, so I stick with TagEditor 2007.

For large jobs where project creation time is diluted in the project's size (say from 5000), I am more productive with MemoQ than with Trados 2007: easy sorting source/target, highly customisable behaviour, real-time translation layout, much more versatility with TM use and management, potent QA features, quick terminology building, general user-friendliness. Overall, I prefer working with MemoQ than TagEditor.

This video (http://www.proz.com/videos/cat%20tool%20webinars/101) highlights features that I found very valuable, which Trados was lacking in its 2007 version.

I don't know if the 2009 version features similar capabilities. I read that there are a lot of improvements and a whole new way of doing things. So maybe now the difference is not as big. But the price gap still is.

Merry summer,
Philippe
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 Freelance or MemoQ - convince me!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »