Thread poster: Natalia Molodojen
Natalia Molodojen
Natalia Molodojen
Spain
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
Jul 26, 2013

Dear colleagues,
I need to align seven parallel texts to be able to check all of them simultaneously. Could you suggest any software I could use for this?

[Edited at 2013-07-26 14:20 GMT]

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 23:58
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
What is the object of the exercise? Jul 27, 2013

Are you seeking to align, e.g. one source language with translations of that into 6 other languages?

What is the ultimate object, to create 6 different TMs?

I think the way you go about it is going to be very much determined by the end result you are after, and whether the 6 target docs are actually accurately aligned between themselves?

My instinctive feeling would be to create 6 separate 2-column alignment docs, then copy and paste the just 5 other target
... See more
Are you seeking to align, e.g. one source language with translations of that into 6 other languages?

What is the ultimate object, to create 6 different TMs?

I think the way you go about it is going to be very much determined by the end result you are after, and whether the 6 target docs are actually accurately aligned between themselves?

My instinctive feeling would be to create 6 separate 2-column alignment docs, then copy and paste the just 5 other target columns into the first document, so you end up with a 1+6 column document; then do your alignment manually (it may get a bit messy!), and finally, do the same procedure in reverse to get back your original 6 × two-column alignment docs, from which you can then create your 6 TMs if you need to.

But maybe that isn't exactly what you need to do...?
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
LF Aligner Jul 27, 2013

To my knowledge, my open source aligner is the only tool that has this feature.
You can align all the texts in one go, review and correct all the alignments in a graphical interface in one go and generate a single multilingual TMX file. Then you can create a TM in any of the 42 possible language combinations in your CAT tool of choice and you can import the multilingual TMX into it
... See more
To my knowledge, my open source aligner is the only tool that has this feature.
You can align all the texts in one go, review and correct all the alignments in a graphical interface in one go and generate a single multilingual TMX file. Then you can create a TM in any of the 42 possible language combinations in your CAT tool of choice and you can import the multilingual TMX into it. You CAT tool will pick out the correct languages from the multilingual TMX.
Be prepared to do a lot of manual correction unless your texts are very uniform.
Collapse

Natalia Molodojen
Natalia Molodojen
Spain
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you TonyM and FarkasAndras, Jul 27, 2013

Tony, in fact what I am trying to avoid is to have those 6 separate 2-columns docs, because I actually want to compare translations.

FarkasAndras, I have tried with LF Aligner and it goes quite well. So far I managed to get an acceptable xls, which is already much better that Word table I had before. But now I don't know how to import the resulting tmx file into the CAT tool (I tried with Trados and OmegaT). Which one do you use?

[Edited at 2013-07-27 14:34 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
CATs Jul 28, 2013

I use trados, but any tool should be able to handle multilingual tmx. What erreo message are you getting?
Worst case scenario, you can create separate two-column xls files and generate tmx files from each of them.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 04:58
English to Indonesian
+ ...
More than two languages visible in a CAT tool? Jul 29, 2013

FarkasAndras wrote:
I use trados

I don't, I don't use Windows, and I hate aligning, so maybe I shouldn't comment on this, but I think Natalia wants to compare the various languages in a CAT tool. As far as I know, that's impossible. You can open a multiple languages TMX in a CAT tool, but it won't display more than two languages at the time.

Anyway, Farkas, thanks for your tool. I tried it, and although the Terminal still frightens me even after all those Mac years, your aligner is easy to use, and works well. I hope I'll never have to use it, though.

Cheers,

Hans

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What's the idea? Jul 29, 2013

Meta Arkadia wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:
I use trados

I don't, I don't use Windows, and I hate aligning, so maybe I shouldn't comment on this, but I think Natalia wants to compare the various languages in a CAT tool.

I'm not sure how or why one would want to do that. CATs don't display more than two languages at a time as they are designed to help translate from one language into another. Professional (prohibitively expensive) versions of Trados can create multilingual TMs (more than two languages in the same TM) but I don't think you get a multi-column tabular view.
If one wanted to view all the texts side by side in a multi-column table, that easily be done in LF Aligner's editor itself, or in Excel.
I thought the OP wanted to create one 'master' TMX file from which it is easy to generate TMs for any language pair. LF Aligner and CATs support this scenario, but as far as I know CATs can't display all the languages at the same time.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 04:58
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Neither do I Jul 29, 2013

FarkasAndras wrote:
I'm not sure how or why one would want to do that.

Neither do I. But she apparently managed to create a multiple languages spreadsheet using your tool,
Natalia Molodojen wrote:
But now I don't know how to import the resulting tmx file into the CAT tool (I tried with Trados and OmegaT).

which is a good thing. I think Natalia is an a different wavelength. The multiple languages spreadsheet is all she needs, methinks, although I'm also not a fan of spreadsheets for text purposes.

Cheers,

Hans

Natalia Molodojen
Natalia Molodojen
Spain
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everyone Jul 29, 2013

Thank you everyone!
I analyzed the situation once more and I think I will have to work with xls itself. Thank you again, FarkasAndras, your tool was very useful!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to align several parallel texts?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »