Meet disfr-mod XLIFF viewer, a modification of disfr with the ability to save settings
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Mar 2, 2023

Recently, I've been using the disfr XLIFF viewer quite a lot to view reference files. My only problem with it was that it didn't save its settings, forcing me to reconfigure them each time I opened the application and then for each individual file tab. I couldn't reach the author, Alissa Sabre, so I hired a developer to fix what I thought was a bug. In reality, it turned out to be a missing feature. The result of that work, called disfr-mod, is free for you to download, use, and even modify unde... See more
Recently, I've been using the disfr XLIFF viewer quite a lot to view reference files. My only problem with it was that it didn't save its settings, forcing me to reconfigure them each time I opened the application and then for each individual file tab. I couldn't reach the author, Alissa Sabre, so I hired a developer to fix what I thought was a bug. In reality, it turned out to be a missing feature. The result of that work, called disfr-mod, is free for you to download, use, and even modify under a BSD license (see the LICENSE file). The settings are implemented as global, which may not suit everybody but is perfect for my use case. Make sure to read README_disfr-mod and the original README file.

Download the Windows installer and sources here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FkfM7ctLH0gd2vycPZy4bB4-diAbGtBT?usp=sharing
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Grigori Gazarian
Mario Cerutti

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:38
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Very useful! Mar 3, 2023

Many thanks for this very useful piece of software!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:38
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The installer is... Mar 3, 2023

Artem Vakhitov wrote:
Download the Windows installer and sources here...

For those of you who don't know: the installer is the MSI file -- it's the only file you need to run the program.

Jorge Payan

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:38
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Opens files in one-tenth of the time taken by Studio Mar 4, 2023

Artem Vakhitov wrote:
Download the Windows installer and sources here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FkfM7ctLH0gd2vycPZy4bB4-diAbGtBT?usp=sharing

This seems to work well for those times when you want to quickly view a file, but you don't want to wait for Studio to wake up, stretch, scratch its backside, then amble to work at its usual leisurely pace.

As I wrote this, I timed the two pieces using the stopwatch on my phone. The PC has an Intel Core i3 6100 @3.7GHz - a very long way from cutting-edge hardware, but fine for general use - and a pair of good SSDs.

SDL Studio 2019: 31 seconds to open, plus over 10 seconds to open the file itself and becoming able to work on it.

disfr-mod: 4 seconds from right-clicking on sdlxliff file and selecting "Open with disfr" to being able to work on the file.

That's a really worthwhile difference.

Thanks to both yourself and the original developer.

Dan
PS Memsource/Phrase Desktop Editor opens the file on which I am currently working in 4-5 seconds

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Meet disfr-mod XLIFF viewer, a modification of disfr with the ability to save settings

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »