A Comparative Study of User Perception and Friendliness of SDL Trados, MemoQ, and Phrase in Translat
Thread poster: Mohammed Aloufi
Mohammed Aloufi
Mohammed Aloufi
United States
Local time: 05:24
Arabic to English
+ ...
Apr 25, 2023

Hello,

I am doing a small qualitative study on the user perception and user friendliness of SDL Trades, MemoQ, and Phrase (Previously Memsource). I would like to see how users see / perceive these three tools in terms of productivity and usability. Can you please provide me with insights on your experiences of these three tools. If you agree to answer, please talk more about the features that make a certain CAT tool usable and effective. For example, you can talk about transl
... See more
Hello,

I am doing a small qualitative study on the user perception and user friendliness of SDL Trades, MemoQ, and Phrase (Previously Memsource). I would like to see how users see / perceive these three tools in terms of productivity and usability. Can you please provide me with insights on your experiences of these three tools. If you agree to answer, please talk more about the features that make a certain CAT tool usable and effective. For example, you can talk about translation memories, terminology systems, machine translation, quality assurance, alignment, file conversion, etc. Your insights are greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Mohammed Aloufi

Binghamton University
Collapse

Michael Davies
Michael Davies  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 11:24
Member (2009)
Danish to English
+ ...
Request for response to comparative study Apr 27, 2023

Hello Mohammed,

I assume that you have prepared or will prepare a questionnaire for use in data collection. If so, you are welcome to contact me through Proz.com with the questionnaire that I will endeavour to respond to, to the best of my ability. I have used - and continue to use - both SDL Trados and Memsource/Phrase for some years so am reasonably familiar with both of these CAT's
... See more
Hello Mohammed,

I assume that you have prepared or will prepare a questionnaire for use in data collection. If so, you are welcome to contact me through Proz.com with the questionnaire that I will endeavour to respond to, to the best of my ability. I have used - and continue to use - both SDL Trados and Memsource/Phrase for some years so am reasonably familiar with both of these CAT's.

Regards,

Michael (https://www.proz.com/profile/965413)
Collapse

Mohammed Aloufi

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:24
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
My 2 c Apr 27, 2023

Trados:
pluses:
Usually fast editor
Project management (can have several projects open in the editor from several languages at the same time)
TM management (TM is just one file, if you want to copy it somewhere)
File management (native format just a single bilingual text file, easy to move around or send)
minuses:
less intuitive than MemoQ
Wonky default settings - e.g., autoadapts similar (but nonidentical), even confirmed segments if you confirm a
... See more
Trados:
pluses:
Usually fast editor
Project management (can have several projects open in the editor from several languages at the same time)
TM management (TM is just one file, if you want to copy it somewhere)
File management (native format just a single bilingual text file, easy to move around or send)
minuses:
less intuitive than MemoQ
Wonky default settings - e.g., autoadapts similar (but nonidentical), even confirmed segments if you confirm a segment with placeables in it, often resulting in the introduction of numerical errors).
Autopropagation can be very slow if there are a lot of repetitions.
Unable to sort segments by length, alpha, frequency, etc.
Can filter only, but not create a truly separate view.
Limited to 5 setup languages, if that's still a thing

MemoQ
pluses
More intuitive
Can create a fully separate view with only certain segments (seg. no, status, reps/no reps, not started, etc.).
Can sort segments by length, frequency, etc.
No setup language limitation
Fast autopropagation, doesn't change segments you don't want to change
Minuses
Editor can get bogged down and be very slow sometimes in moving segment to segment
No single-file native format for TM or working file, transferring requires exports
Only one project can be open at a time, lose time switching between projects

Phrase:
Works well for an online software, no particular issues. I'll take it any day over XTM or Crossweb.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A Comparative Study of User Perception and Friendliness of SDL Trados, MemoQ, and Phrase in Translat

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »