Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What are the unique features of your CAT tool?
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:58
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Programmable... Dec 18, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
The one unique feature of WFC is that it runs inside Microsoft Word.

This makes WFC the only CAT tool that can be programmed without the need of any third-party tools (AutoHotkey, Keyboard Maestro, ...).

Well, yes, although it depends what you mean by "programmable". You can't edit the WFC macro(s) yourself.

1. The individual steps taken by WFC are addressable as individual macros. You can't edit those macros, but you call them in another macro.

For example, in WFC the shortcut for inserting a placeable is Ctrl+Alt+down. What I wanted is that if I use this shortcut while text is already selected in the target field, then the selected text should be put on the clipboard before the placeable is copied. So, I created a macro that copies the selected text and THEN executes the WFC macro that places the placeable, and tied that macro to Ctrl+Alt+down.

The source and target fields in WFC have specific names in Visual Basic, which means that you can use macros to manipulate the content of these two fields while WFC is running.

2. WFC also allows you to specify a macro or macros to be run at various points.

These options are listed in WFC's advanced settings (PB):
Macro_PreSegmentation=
Macro_PostSegmentation=
Macro_QualityAssurance=
Macro_StartSession=
Macro_EndSession=
Macro_Maiden=
Macro_Retire=

So, if I want a macro to run at what WFC calls the "postsegmentation" stage, I just create it, name it, and add its name here in the settings. The WFC user manual says the following about "postsegmentation": The PostSegmentation macro is executed when the translator "closes" a segment, immediately before closure. "Closing" a segment happens if you press Alt+Down on an opened segment, or Alt+Up, or Alt+End, or any other shortcut that closes the currently opened segment. That macro is typical meant to check for errors and warn the user.

So, if I work for a client who has certain words that are often misspelt, I can create a macro that contains those words and then checks for the presence of those misspellings every time I move to the next segment.

3. And of course, you can run macros that process the source text outside of WFC as well.

[Edited at 2023-12-18 13:18 GMT]

Philippe Locquet

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
What you described Dec 18, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

Well, yes, although it depends what you mean by "programmable". You can't edit the WFC macro(s) yourself.

Exactly those tasks that you described, and tasks that Ms Word can do, like: make the nth word (= an object) in the current paragraph (= another object) bold/italics, etc.

Or: write the last words of the par with the source and the target to your glossary, without the need of selecting them: no need to use the mouse or to move the text cursor. That's just beautiful. I did that all the time, when I used WfC in the past millennium.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are the unique features of your CAT tool?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »