Off topic: Beginner’s luck ???
Thread poster: Juliano Martins
Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:26
German to English
+ ...
Beginner’s luck ??? Aug 1, 2008

We're a long way off, Susan. This discussion has only reached 7 pages so far. This one made 50:

www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_job_systems/49940-new_at_prozcom:_outsourcer_willingness_to_work_again_feedback_for_translators.html

I believe that some of the discussions in Spanish may a
... See more
We're a long way off, Susan. This discussion has only reached 7 pages so far. This one made 50:

www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_job_systems/49940-new_at_prozcom:_outsourcer_willingness_to_work_again_feedback_for_translators.html

I believe that some of the discussions in Spanish may also have been much longer.

Marc
Collapse

Oleg Rudavin
Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 13:26
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
There's another one Aug 1, 2008

We collect "translation pearls" there - http://www.proz.com/topic/25175

Susan Welsh wrote: Is it an all-time record? Anybody from the staff know?

Susan

Sorry for OT

Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
It's quite a record on Getting Established! Aug 1, 2008

... so keep posting, guyZ!

Angela

Susan Welsh wrote:

I'm curious. Juliano's post has certainly elicited more responses than anything I've ever noticed while being a ProZ member. Is it an all-time record? Anybody from the staff know?

Susan

Juliano Martins
Juliano Martins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:26
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Going to Europe Aug 1, 2008

By the way, tonight I'm going to Europe. I'll stay in Vienna for two weeks and then I'll visit some other friends in Glasgow, London and Grenoble. I just missed a powwow in Vienna last week. I planned this trip 4 months ago, and this particular powwow had not been scheduled yet. My first powwow will be here in Fortaleza, where I live, in October. If I had the chance, I’d love to meet some of you.

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:26
English to Spanish
The plot thickens Aug 1, 2008

tinageta wrote:

... I don't believe this story one bit. But it is a nice one, though.

Vacationing in Europe. Sounds like the cherry on top, but I would be afraid of breaking the lucky streak.

[Edited at 2008-08-01 14:32]

[Edited at 2008-08-01 14:33]

Juliano Martins
Brazil
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
availability Aug 1, 2008

Luisa Ramos wrote:

Vacationing in Europe. Sounds like the cherry on top, but I would be afraid of breaking the lucky streak.

As I said, I had planned this trip a long time ago (long before all this happens) and I don't wish to cancel it.

Indeed, my client said me that if I were available, I would still have translation jobs until the end of August (at least). I had to decline it, because of my trip.

However, hopefully I think I can continue something else when I come back!

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:26
Flemish to English
+ ...
It is a pleasure Aug 3, 2008

Necdet Balta wrote:

Reading your posts, one day I'll get there. But until then, I will repeat this: pleasure is reading your posts!

Correction: it is a pleasure to read your posts, not "pleasure is"
*-*-*-*-
With regard to the beginning of the topic:

I am "a" Brazilian and I love foreign languages very much.
I already speak English fluently.
And : You don't start a sentence with linking words : Some linking words normally form a link between clauses WITHIN a sentence. It is bad style to start a sentence with these words:
and, but ,so ,because, then, until, such as are examples of this type of linking word.

At the moment, I am studying Italian and German. I graduated (grammatical explanation: Something that happened in the past and is completely finished: past tense) in Computer Science and I am currently working as a system analyst. What would happen in Visual Basic, Visual C or Java if you made such errors. I guess I'll find out in October when I start with Java-course.

Kind regards: A non-native (former teacher of English) with a Masters in Translation and a good knowledge of semantics and syntax who dares to make an occasional spelling error or mix up "too much" and "too many" (although I know the grammatical explanation).

Nobody(even the native speakers) is perfect. I started learning English when some natives on these forums were not even born or very young infants and I am still learning new vocabulary, idoms and expressions every day. The same is true for French, a language I grew up with. "Con algo hay que empezar" and if you don't start translating both ways, you will never master translation into the other direction. Formal education helps.

[Edited at 2008-08-03 09:05]

Kunik
Kunik  Identity Verified
English to Latvian
+ ...
... Aug 3, 2008

I think Zarathustra spoke like Yoda. Or vice versa.

Bruno Saboia
Bruno Saboia
English to Portuguese
;) Aug 13, 2008

Read my post at page 7

Duobing Chen
Duobing Chen  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:26
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
CONGRATULATIONS! Sep 6, 2008

yes, it is a nice start for you, congratulations! and I wish I can start as well, I rememberd that when I began to exploit domestic markets, I spent almost 2 months, and international markets seem more diffidult for me. several days ago I perfect my profile, and I have earned some Proz points. some translation companies contacted me but no other information. but from Proz, I learned a lot, thanks for all your posts, your experiences.

Silvia Barra (X)
Silvia Barra (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
A similar story Oct 21, 2008

Hi Juliano, I've just read your story and found that it's quite similar to mine. I'm a chemist and I love languages so much. Starting after the graduation I've collaborated with agencies for translations, but I've always looked for a chemist's job. And I've found it. Until the beginning of this year I've worked in a big paper industry, but now I have a little child and I prefer to spent more time with him. I started collaborating with some agencies (the chief of one of them told me that translat... See more
Hi Juliano, I've just read your story and found that it's quite similar to mine. I'm a chemist and I love languages so much. Starting after the graduation I've collaborated with agencies for translations, but I've always looked for a chemist's job. And I've found it. Until the beginning of this year I've worked in a big paper industry, but now I have a little child and I prefer to spent more time with him. I started collaborating with some agencies (the chief of one of them told me that translating chemistry was nearly without end) going on answering to ProZ jobs, and sending CV and resume. Now I'm surprised that indeed the job exists! I have always many documents to translate. And this job give me a lot of satisfaction! I've done a master's in translation only because I felt "poor" in this field and because I saw that many posts require a title in translation. Probably it is the beginner's luck ans so better like this!
Good luck for all the beginners.
Silvia
Collapse

Juliano Martins
Brazil
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Oct 21, 2008

Hi Silvia,

I'm glad to hear your story. Congratulations! I intend to do a master's in translation next year. I have worked a lot these last months and they always send me something to translate.

thanks,
Juliano

Claudine-Hélène L.
Claudine-Hélène L.
France
English to French
+ ...
? Nov 12, 2009

scary !

Paul Cohen
Paul Cohen  Identity Verified
Greenland
Local time: 09:26
German to English
+ ...
I'm flabbergasted Nov 12, 2009

It's been a hectic summer, so I unfortunately missed this uproarious thread until today.

Count me among the wet blankets.

We certainly don't have to all see eye-to-eye on everything on this site. In fact, we would have incredibly boring discussions and debates if we all agreed on everything. However, I would hope that we could all at least agree that a person who does not possess a native level of ability in a foreign language* should not be translating into that langu
... See more
It's been a hectic summer, so I unfortunately missed this uproarious thread until today.

Count me among the wet blankets.

We certainly don't have to all see eye-to-eye on everything on this site. In fact, we would have incredibly boring discussions and debates if we all agreed on everything. However, I would hope that we could all at least agree that a person who does not possess a native level of ability in a foreign language* should not be translating into that language as a paid professional. Period.

*Exceptions being of course extremely rare language combinations such as Inuktitut>Swahili, where it is virtually impossible to find a highly qualified translator.

I find it particularly revealing that the founder of this site has been at the forefront in congratulating Juliano on his initial successes. I'm flabbergasted; he's delighted.

I would also advise Juliano to stick to translating into his mother tongue.

And, as others have pointed out, please keep in mind that this forum is public and everyone in the world with access to a computer can read it. Sure, it's informal. But it's also written in stone, so to speak. Our words -- including the chutzpah of an exuberant newbie who appears to have gotten a lucky break -- will be floating in cyberspace for years to come.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beginner’s luck ???

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »