Jianrong Sun
Jianrong Sun  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 05:07
Member (2019)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Feb 26, 2023

Maybe I'll get a full-time job from the US - it is a remote, freelance position.

What is the difference between full-time, part-time, contract, permanent and temporary jobs in the United States?

Please let me know, thanks!

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 00:07
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Differences Feb 26, 2023

The differences between these types of jobs in the United States of America are as follows:

Full-time job: a full-time job is typically considered to be 40 hours per week or more. Full-time employees are generally eligible for benefits, such as health insurance, paid vacation time, and retirement plans.

Part-time job: a part-time job is typically considered to be less than 40 hours per week. Part-time employees may or may not be eligible for benefits, depending on the e
... See more
The differences between these types of jobs in the United States of America are as follows:

Full-time job: a full-time job is typically considered to be 40 hours per week or more. Full-time employees are generally eligible for benefits, such as health insurance, paid vacation time, and retirement plans.

Part-time job: a part-time job is typically considered to be less than 40 hours per week. Part-time employees may or may not be eligible for benefits, depending on the employer.

Contract job: a contract job is a position that has a specified end date or duration, often based on the completion of a specific project or set of tasks. Contract workers are typically paid a set rate or salary for the duration of the contract and are not eligible for employee benefits.

Permanent job: a permanent job is a position that does not have an end date or duration and is intended to be a long-term position. Permanent employees are typically eligible for benefits and may have more job security than contract workers.

Temporary job: a temporary job is a position that is intended to be short-term, frequently lasting just a few weeks or months. Temporary workers are typically brought on to help with a specific project or to cover for another employee who is absent or on leave. Temporary workers may or may not be eligible for benefits, depending on the employer.
Collapse

Jianrong Sun
Mr. Satan (X)
Edward Potter

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 16:07
English to Russian
+ ...
Jianrong, you don't need to worry about any differences Mar 1, 2023

Jianrong Sun wrote:

a full-time job from the US - ... freelance position.

because the above is an oxymoron.

Full-time and permanent are one and the same and the term "permanent" is rarely used in the US. When people say "I got a full-time job" it implies "permanent" 40 hours/week with benefits, but we all know that there is no such thing as permanent job. Most likely they meant a promise to keep you busy on a weekly basis, up to 40 hours and up, but it seems that there is a thorough confusion in terminology and legal understanding of employment in the US on their part because none of the differences, big or small, will ever relate to you and you'll never get any benefits.

As a foreigner residing abroad, all you can get is an Independent Contractor Agreement, usually on "we are not obligated to give, and you are not obligated to accept" basis, with some conventional ending date with the renewal terms. There is no number of hours that would turn you into any kind of employee with the right to claim any benefits by law, which would be the case for a US citizen. If they want you to sign your availability 24/7 or else, you may try to secure a guaranteed pay of 40 hours per week regardless of the work load. That would be a victory to remember and, realistically, I wouldn't count on it much but even in that case your status with them will never change.

Tianqi Sun
Edward Potter
Mr. Satan (X)

Jianrong Sun
Jianrong Sun  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 05:07
Member (2019)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 3, 2023

@Andriy Yasharov & IrinaN

Thank you for your answers

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:07
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I suspect Mar 3, 2023

Jianrong Sun wrote:
Maybe I'll get a full-time job from the US - it is a remote, freelance position.

I suspect that if a client or employer says to you "full-time freelance position", they mean that it is a freelance position (i.e. you have to send them an invoice for the work, and you have no rights except for the right to be paid for the specific work that you did), and that they would like you to be available as if you were a full-time employee.

It may also be that they want you to think that there will be enough work to fill 8 hours a day, although "freelance" implies that they don't guarantee a certain amount of work or a certain number of hours.

In the worst case, it would be a bait-and-switch operation whereby they "promise" a lot of work but actually provide very little work, hoping that you will remain available on short notice for some time before you realize that there isn't going to be a lot of work.

Miranda Drew
Peter Dahm Robertson
Jianrong Sun

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

about employment

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »