Is there a good FREE MT (for EN-US>DE) for Trados Studio?
Thread poster: Inge Schumacher
Inge Schumacher
Inge Schumacher  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:06
Member (2023)
French to German
+ ...
Jan 30

Hello,

I will have to do translations using Trados Studio.

I don't think the volume will be high enough to pay €29.90/month for the DeepL Translation Provider in Studio. MyMemory invoices the number of translated words and I found that it's rather expensive.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Inge

Aurélien ARPAZ
Aurélien ARPAZ
German to French
+ ...
DeepL free version Jan 30

Bonjour Inge,

If you really want to use a tool like DeepL, but why, why not use the free version? There's a relatively generous word limit, and if you exceed it, you can simply create an account, all free of charge. The only constraint? Oh yes, you may have to copy and paste between the DeepL's suggestions and the target segment in Studio... Not exactly insurmountable!

Have fun!

Inge Schumacher
neilmac

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Privacy Jan 30

Aurélien ARPAZ wrote:

Bonjour Inge,

If you really want to use a tool like DeepL, but why, why not use the free version? There's a relatively generous word limit, and if you exceed it, you can simply create an account, all free of charge. The only constraint? Oh yes, you may have to copy and paste between the DeepL's suggestions and the target segment in Studio... Not exactly insurmountable!

Have fun!

The free version registers and uses your translations. Not sure your clients will be happy with that. I know I wouldn't.

Inge Schumacher
Rachel Waddington
markusg

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Fiskmo MT Engine or OPUS-CAT Jan 30

Inge Schumacher wrote:

Hello,

https://github.com/Helsinki-NLP/OPUS-CAT

Quickstart for translators

Download the Fiskmo MT Engine and install it to your computer by extracting it in a folder on your computer.
Download the plugin for your translation software and install it:
Trados 2017: double-click plugin file to install.
Trados 2019: double-click plugin file to install.
--
I use OPUS-CAT in OmegaT.

Milan

Jorge Payan
Matteo Rozzarin

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:06
English to Russian
Jan 30

[Edited at 2024-01-30 20:56 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
@Inge: free apps for Windows and Mac Jan 30

You can use QTranslate for Windows:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EBS12jKqSX6-EAmaR-q11u88GeprfgvV/view?usp=drive_link
You don't even need to copy and paste between DeepL and Trados. You just assign a shortcut of your choice, select your language pair and translation provider, select a segment in Trados (or in any other ap
... See more
You can use QTranslate for Windows:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EBS12jKqSX6-EAmaR-q11u88GeprfgvV/view?usp=drive_link
You don't even need to copy and paste between DeepL and Trados. You just assign a shortcut of your choice, select your language pair and translation provider, select a segment in Trados (or in any other app that supports text editing) and press the shortcut. You only need the 'Replace selected text' command, you may delete all other shortcuts to avoid potential conflicts. Also I recommend that you uncheck two boxes in Options - Advanced referring to "mouse mode".

That's it.

For Mac, according to Hans Lenting, you can use this: https://www.raycast.com
My understanding is that it does the same as QTranslate. For more information visit https://www.proz.com/forum/apple_mac_operating_systems/365806-quick_acces_to_deepl_from_any_app.html

[Edited at 2024-01-31 13:12 GMT]
Collapse

Inge Schumacher
France
Member (2023)
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Free DeepL Jan 31

[quote]Aurélien ARPAZ wrote:

Bonjour Inge,

Bonjour Aurélien,

That's what I normally do: I just copy and paste between (the free) DeepL and Studio. This has the big advantage that you can edit/improve the translation output before you paste it into Studio.
It's true that DeepL is quite better than most of the other tools I have tried so far.

Kind regards,
Inge

Aurélien ARPAZ

testing opus-cat Feb 1

Milan Condak wrote: I tried it and I liked the idea of being able to train MT using your content, but I find that there are still a number of limitations in the management of tags and capital letters, which creates quite a few problems in the case of HTML, XML, and similar files.

Inge Schumacher wrote:

Hello,

https://github.com/Helsinki-NLP/OPUS-CAT

Quickstart for translators

Download the Fiskmo MT Engine and install it to your computer by extracting it in a folder on your computer.
Download the plugin for your translation software and install it:
Trados 2017: double-click plugin file to install.
Trados 2019: double-click plugin file to install.
--
I use OPUS-CAT in OmegaT.

Milan

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
DeepL Pro Starter Feb 1

There is a middle road between free DeepL and the API licence - DeepL Pro Starter costs €7.49 / month, gets you one user glossary of 5000 items and 5 files / month and, importantly, claims not to use your translations.

https://www.deepl.com/en/pro/change-plan?cta=menu-pro#team

[Edited at 2024-02-01 11:52 GMT]

Lieven Malaise
Inge Schumacher

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
. Feb 1

PAS wrote:
There is a middle road between free DeepL and the API licence - DeepL Pro Starter costs €7.49 / month, gets you one user glossary of 5000 items and 5 files / month and, importantly, claims not to use your translations.

Indeed. that's the one I'm subscribed to. If you are a professional translator and you want to use machine translation, then this seems to be a necessity. I don't understand translators who use free MT and seem to be thinking that's no problem at all. They literally expose every word of their clients' documents.

neilmac
Jorge Payan
Inge Schumacher
Rachel Waddington

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
You can choose when to use MT Feb 1

Lieven Malaise wrote:
I don't understand translators who use free MT and seem to be thinking that's no problem at all. They literally expose every word of their clients' documents.
Not all content is always confidential. I translate a dozen of articles per week from the US and European media. All of them have already been published before I get a translation assignment. [Free] Deepl is so good at translating such stuff that about 80% of that content does not even need editing.
Many technical manuals you can find in the internet too. It's up to you to control when you use a free MT engine.

Aurélien ARPAZ
Inge Schumacher

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Don't know Feb 1

Stepan Konev wrote:
It's up to you to control when you use a free MT engine.

I would say it's up to proper confidentialty practices to use free MT. So only for publicly available information and nothing else.

Inge Schumacher
France
Member (2023)
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Lieven Feb 3

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Indeed. that's the one I'm subscribed to. If you are a professional translator and you want to use machine translation, then this seems to be a necessity. I don't understand translators who use free MT and seem to be thinking that's no problem at all. They literally expose every word of their clients' documents.

Hi Lieven

I wasn't actually speaking about COMPLETELY free MT tools. I use the Pro Starter version of DeepL for about €8/month, that's what I consider (almost) free.
Of course, professional translators need professional tools such as DeepL, LanguageTool (spelling and grammar checker) or Antidote (French (and English) spelling and grammar checker). These make work so much easier.
I cancelled my subscription for the Duden Mentor because it's really too bad and completely unreliable.

Kind regards,

Inge

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a good FREE MT (for EN-US>DE) for Trados Studio?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »