subsequent and first translation
Autor wątku: saggi
saggi
saggi
hindi > angielski
+ ...
Nov 3, 2006

I'm a subtitler and I've just been asked to quote rates for subsequent and first translation. Although I've been subtitling for a while I haven't come across these terms. Do they have something to do with time cues/spotting?
Also, would the two rates differ substantially? Thanks for all help!

Sylvano
Sylvano
Local time: 21:08
angielski > francuski
You're right Nov 3, 2006

Hi, saggi

First translation is when you do time-cueing AND translation. Subsequent is when you only do translation with cues being done previously by someone else.
As far as rates are concerned, I'd say you should charge around 30 or 40% more when you do time-cueing yourself.

Regards,
Sylvano

theangel
theangel  Identity Verified
Włochy
Local time: 21:08
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

szwedzki > włoski
+ ...
Subsequent Nov 3, 2006

SUBSEQUENT TRANSLATION: it's doing a translation from a master file or English template. The master file will already be time cued so it will only be a matter of replacing the English into another language.

So it's usually paid a bit less...but not so much less

saggi
saggi
hindi > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Thanks Nov 3, 2006

Thanks a lot, Sylvano.

I wish I could ask for 30 to 40% more but in the meanwhile I've been given a rate of USD 5.5 for subsequent and USD 6.7 for first translation. I've been told that's fairly typical of rates in the US...

I'll be more careful next time!
Thanks again.
PS I'm new here and it's good to know there are so many of us out there.

saggi
saggi
hindi > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Thanks, Theangel Nov 4, 2006

Thanks, theangel.

I've never worked for US firms before.
I do feel my rate of USD 6.7 for First translation, as I now understand the term thanks to you guys, is quite low -- considering that it actually involves two jobs, one ought to be paid for both!

I don't mind the USD 5.5 for subsequent translation, especially if it's non-technical, but time cueing is a lot of work.

theangel wrote:

SUBSEQUENT TRANSLATION: it's doing a translation from a master file or English template. The master file will already be time cued so it will only be a matter of replacing the English into another language.

So it's usually paid a bit less...but not so much less

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

subsequent and first translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »