Cynthia Pecking
Cynthia Pecking
Germany
Local time: 01:00
French to English
+ ...
Nov 11, 2006

Hello all,

I recently subtitled a film using a free downloaded version of Subtitle Workshop. After finishing, I couldn't figure out how to send a file to the filmmaker with the subtitles BURNED ONTO the film. I was only able to send a text file (tried ssa and subrip) with the subtitles and the timecodes listed. I consulted the manual, but the directions had me download something which didn't work, and then were too complicated to understand. Does anyone know how to acheive this task
... See more
Hello all,

I recently subtitled a film using a free downloaded version of Subtitle Workshop. After finishing, I couldn't figure out how to send a file to the filmmaker with the subtitles BURNED ONTO the film. I was only able to send a text file (tried ssa and subrip) with the subtitles and the timecodes listed. I consulted the manual, but the directions had me download something which didn't work, and then were too complicated to understand. Does anyone know how to acheive this task, and if not, can someone suggest a downloadable software which will let me send the subtitled film to the client after I'm done? I'm doing my work pro-bono for a friend, if I was getting paid, I'd buy a license. Thanks so much!
Collapse

Carla Griecco
Carla Griecco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:00
Portuguese to English
+ ...
HELP: Subtitle Workshop + authoring Nov 11, 2006

Hello,
It seems that you want to send the movie and the subtitles to your friend.
Subtitle Workshop does not 'author' a movie - it only creates the subtitles and TCs.
After that, you need a DVD authoring software such as DVDLabPro or Ulead DVD Workshop, which will enable you to add all elements necessary in a DVD - Video, Audio, Subtitles, menus.
Notice there are 2 different processes here: first , creating the subtitle files; second, authoring the dvd with the subtit
... See more
Hello,
Subtitle Workshop does not 'author' a movie - it only creates the subtitles and TCs.
After that, you need a DVD authoring software such as DVDLabPro or Ulead DVD Workshop, which will enable you to add all elements necessary in a DVD - Video, Audio, Subtitles, menus.
Notice there are 2 different processes here: first , creating the subtitle files; second, authoring the dvd with the subtitles.
Contact me, should you need further details (see my Profile for MSN/Skype details).

HTH & regards

Carla Griecco

[Editada em 2006-11-11 23:28]
Collapse

Adam Podstawczynski (X)
Adam Podstawczynski (X)  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
if AVI with hardcoded subtitles is fine... Nov 12, 2006

Hi,

If you do not need a full-blown DVD with menus, selectable subtitles, etc., and if you can settle on a compressed AVI-quality file (which is often more than satisfactory for home use), then a simple solution is to use the freely downloadable AutoGK program.

There is a help file distributed with AutoGK, where the procedure is described. Please read it carefully, paying particular attention to the subtitles subject, as the option to include external subtitles is norma
... See more
Hi,

If you do not need a full-blown DVD with menus, selectable subtitles, etc., and if you can settle on a compressed AVI-quality file (which is often more than satisfactory for home use), then a simple solution is to use the freely downloadable AutoGK program.

There is a help file distributed with AutoGK, where the procedure is described. Please read it carefully, paying particular attention to the subtitles subject, as the option to include external subtitles is normally hidden (you invoke it by Ctrl+F8). Your subtitles should be saved in Subtitle Workshop as an SRT file (SubRip format) first.

Hope this helps,

[Edited at 2006-11-12 07:47]
Collapse

Cynthia Pecking
Cynthia Pecking
Germany
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problems with ULead DVD Workshop Jan 17, 2007

Hi Carla,

It's been a while since you answered this post for me, I am just now getting to download ULead and work with it. I am running into a problem and wondered if you might know what I'm doing wrong. With ULead, when I click on Add/Edit Subtitles under the Edit tab, and import my text subtitles file, all of the timecodes are correct and everything looks fine. However, as soon as I hit OK at the bottom and try to watch it under the finish tab, all of the timecodes are altered an
... See more
Hi Carla,

It's been a while since you answered this post for me, I am just now getting to download ULead and work with it. I am running into a problem and wondered if you might know what I'm doing wrong. With ULead, when I click on Add/Edit Subtitles under the Edit tab, and import my text subtitles file, all of the timecodes are correct and everything looks fine. However, as soon as I hit OK at the bottom and try to watch it under the finish tab, all of the timecodes are altered and do not coincide with the video. I noticed that when I imported the subtitles file into the Edit section, the video immediately jumps to 0:02:42:07, which ironically is NOT even the timecode for the first subtitle, and if I try to move the video back to the beginning, it alters the first subtitle, making it's timecode read 00:00:00:00.
Do you know how I import my subtitles file, with the timecodes set, and get to the finish section without the timecodes being changed?
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Cindy

Carla Griecco wrote:

Hello,
Notice there are 2 different processes here: first , creating the subtitle files; second, authoring the dvd with the subtitles.
Contact me, should you need further details (see my Profile for MSN/Skype details).

HTH & regards

Carla Griecco

[Editada em 2006-11-11 23:28]
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:00
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Subtitling DVDs Feb 25, 2007

Cindy,

Apparently you either haven't solved your problem, or did it privately.

Anyway, I found several solutions, and managed to get good quality subtitled DVDs for my clients with very little investment in software, when any.

You made a good choice with Subtitle Worksop. I use, however, Media Subtitler (also free) first, just to create a blank subtitles file. Then I take it to Subtitle Workshop.

Even before that, I found that VOB->MPG is not e
... See more
Cindy,

Apparently you either haven't solved your problem, or did it privately.

Anyway, I found several solutions, and managed to get good quality subtitled DVDs for my clients with very little investment in software, when any.

You made a good choice with Subtitle Worksop. I use, however, Media Subtitler (also free) first, just to create a blank subtitles file. Then I take it to Subtitle Workshop.

Even before that, I found that VOB->MPG is not enough. Video compression tends to add inaccuracy to timecodes, at least with free software. So I convert the DVD VOBs to AVI with AVI.net (free), but I do it to the smallest picture size (320x240), because all I need is the accurate timing, not image quality and for heaven's sake... SPEED in the conversion process!

Then I use the AVI to mark in&out times with Media Subtitler. One important point is to use the [1] and [2] buttons there to mark your first and last subtitles, otherwise they'll slip.

Then there are two main routes:

1. If I want the subtitles "burnt" onto the video, like VHS, I'll have the AVI.net VOB->AVI conversion done at 720x480 pixels. (Late warning? I hope you didn't get started before reading this whole message!). Then I use VirtualDub (free) with its separately downloaded Subtitler plugin to apply the subtitles. This is done almost in real playing time with a Sempron 2.8. You'll need a DVD authoring program to convert that subtitled AVI into a DVD.

2. If I have subtitles in more than one language (up to 3, plus "none" - selectable with the "Subtitle" button in the DVD player remote control) to be overlaid with the video, I use AVI2DVD (free) to generate an IMG file of the complete DVD. This takes several hours, better leave the computer working overnight. Then you'll need a program that records a DVD from that image file.

This is the gist of the whole process. You can find lots of detail on all this - instructions, tutorials, links for download - by searching at http://www.videohelp.com .

Good luck, and happy subtitling!

[]s
José
Collapse

Cynthia Pecking
Cynthia Pecking
Germany
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your help Feb 26, 2007

Hi José,

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain the process to me. I had not yet figured out the answer, so I was happy to get your message. As I'm not very good with technical matters, the process seems a bit overwhelming, but I'll follow your steps and hopefully I can figure it out.
Thanks again!
Cindy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with Subtitle Workshop

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »