Thread poster: Franz Holzer
Franz Holzer
Franz Holzer
Local time: 00:19
Greek to German
+ ...
Feb 12, 2022

Hallo!

I have a project with Source-language "el-el" and Target languages "de-at" and "de-de". Now I would like to remove "de-de" and to stay only at "de-at". Is that possible, and if yes, how do I do that?

TIA
Franz

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:19
English to Russian
Workaround Feb 12, 2022

1. Create a copy of your SDLPROJ file. If the procedure completes successfully, you will remove the original.
2. Open the SDLPROJ copy file with Notepad or Notepad++
3. Find the target language code you want to remove ("de-de")
4. Delete everything from <LanguageDirection... up to </LanguageDirection> (both strings included)
*Be careful not to delete <LanguageDirections>
5. Save the file and test it with Trados.
If it is ok, delete
... See more
1. Create a copy of your SDLPROJ file. If the procedure completes successfully, you will remove the original.
2. Open the SDLPROJ copy file with Notepad or Notepad++
3. Find the target language code you want to remove ("de-de")
4. Delete everything from <LanguageDirection... up to </LanguageDirection> (both strings included)
*Be careful not to delete <LanguageDirections>
5. Save the file and test it with Trados.
If it is ok, delete the original SDLPROJ file and rename the SDLPROJ copy accordingly.
If not ok, delete the SDLPROJ copy and live with two languages...

[Edited at 2022-02-12 17:02 GMT]
Collapse

Jorge Payan

Franz Holzer
Franz Holzer
Greek to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What to do with de-de Feb 12, 2022

Thank you Stepan!
I found point 4. and did delete it.
But I did not understand what to do with point 3. I find many instances of de-de.

It seems to exist for any file which I have translated.

TIA

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
*.sdlproj file only Feb 13, 2022

Franz Holzer wrote:
I did not understand what to do with point 3. I find many instances of de-de.
When you set two target languages, there are 2 sections, one for each language pair. In my screenshot, there 2 language pairs: English to Russian (yellow) and English to Vietnamese (light green).
I mean that you should search for the language code within one of those sections. Then delete the section where you find it.
In my case, if I want to remove Vietnamese from my target languages, I have to delete strings from 10 to 13.
Before deleting the strings, you should close Trados. If you don't, it will restore the file with 2 target languages. Close Trados, edit the *.sdlproj file and save it, double click it to open the project.2022-02-13_042909

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Project or Template? Feb 13, 2022

Franz Holzer wrote:
It seems to exist for any file which I have translated.
If you create a new project for each next new file based on a template with 2 target languages, then yes, every sdlproj file will be like this.
You did not mention if you meant a project or a template. If you mean templates, it is much easier: go to File, Setup, Project Templates, select a template and edit it by removing the Greek (el-EL) to German (de-DE) language pair.

[Edited at 2022-02-13 02:12 GMT]

Franz Holzer
Franz Holzer
Greek to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Project-File Feb 13, 2022

Hello!
Sorry, that I did not explain, thats about a project-file. As I have translated hundreds of files with this setting, I dont find a possibilitiy to delete each incidence of de-de. I began as you told me, until I found out, that there are hundreds of incedences. But I thank you very much for your hints!

Franz

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
You don't need all the instances Feb 13, 2022

You only need one at the very beginning where your language pairs are declared. All of them are listed between two LanguageDirections strings:
2022-02-13_132908According to my understanding, if you see hundreds of instances, it is only possible when you have attached hundreds of resources like TMs, TBs, AutoSuggest dictionaries, etc. Or you work with a wrong file. What is the full name of the file that you are working on?

[Edited at 2022-02-13 10:37 GMT]

Franz Holzer
Franz Holzer
Greek to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still apparent de-de Feb 13, 2022

When I open this file-copy by doubleclicking it in SDL 2021, de-de is still apparent.

(I dont found out how to attach a sceenshot of the copied file, otherwise I would do that)

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Did you close Trados when applying changes? Feb 13, 2022

Franz Holzer wrote:
When I open this file-copy by doubleclicking it in SDL 2021, de-de is still apparent.
Can you now open the sdlproj file and confirm that there is only one pair of languages? If you open it and see two target languages again, it means that you didn't close Trados before making changes. You may want to email me your sdlproj file. I will edit it and return to you.

[Edited at 2022-02-13 16:37 GMT]

Franz Holzer
Franz Holzer
Greek to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I did close it. Feb 13, 2022

I will send you the file.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Ok, I see now Feb 13, 2022

One string got corrupted in your sdlproj file.
To fix your file, you simply need to add </ in string 18 to read as </LanguageDirections>
2022-02-13_184153That's it.
Don't forget to keep Trados closed. Once done, double click the file and wait for Trados to start.

I did it all with your file and I get only one target language:
2022-02-13_184648I will return the fixed file by email too. But you can try fixing it by yourself first, just to know how to handle it next time.

[Edited at 2022-02-13 16:09 GMT]

Franz Holzer
Franz Holzer
Greek to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That was it! Feb 13, 2022

That was it! Thank you so much! You are great!

Franz

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Remove language from existing project

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »