Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:23
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
The aligner is the ugly stepchild of Trados Apr 10, 2022

To me the problem is not the font in the aligner but rather the aligner in the aligner. I always end up having to do it manually.

Absolutely agree

Trados (pre-SDL) used to have a decent and functional alginer (WinAlign); it came together with Trados Workbench. The first version of Trados Studio didn't have a new alignment function, so the program still shipped with WinAlign included. After a while, SDL announced that with the new version (2014, I think), they would finally ship a new aligner, a modern wonder that would not require the user to spend time on the alignment: all would be done perfectly and automatically.

This was far, far, very far from true: the new aligner was a disaster, and the few minimal changes SDL made to the tool afterwards only "improved" it from "terrible, completely and totally useless" to "still terrible, why would you ever use this piece of crap?"

It is telling that (hidden away), WinAlign (a program that has not been changed at all since at least 2007) is still available, and quietly suggested as an options to users who complain too laudly about the poor quality of the new "improved" aligner.

When I have to align documents I use either the free version of YouAlign (excellent autoalignment capabilities - but since it is an online program, not usable for projects in which confidentiality is a concern), or WinAlign. Every time a new version of Trados comes along, I give a try to see if the aligner is improved, then (since it never is), I go back to WinAlign.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:23
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: WinAlign Apr 11, 2022

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:
Trados (pre-SDL) used to have a decent and functional alginer (WinAlign)...

Those who wish to have a trip down memory lane or who wish to make up their own minds can compare the two aligners here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CEqa6Vu27c (WinAlign)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI0SI5PwdIY (WinAlign, launched from within Studio)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9DGXVHkeYk (Studio Align)

Can you give us an idea of which features of WinAlign you feel are superior? In particular, I am discouraged by its lack of keyboard shortcuts for common actions.

[Edited at 2022-04-11 09:38 GMT]

Xanthippe
Xanthippe
France
Member (2008)
Italian to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
another simple way to align Apr 15, 2022

John Fry wrote:

Dan Lucas wrote:
Just to point out, in passing, that people have been complaining about the font in the aligner for the past seven years.

To me the problem is not the font in the aligner but rather the aligner in the aligner. I always end up having to do it manually.

Personnaly I align by doing a new project with a bilingual Excel file (with source in A column and target in B column). Then I update my TM with the new content. That’s so simple!

Elena Feriani
Matheus Chaud

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Nor sure how the Excel way can improve things Apr 17, 2022

Xanthippe wrote:

Personnaly I align by doing a new project with a bilingual Excel file (with source in A column and target in B column). Then I update my TM with the new content. That’s so simple! [/quote]

It is not often I align projects, but I find that two or more segments are out of kilter, i.e. 2 or more source segments belong to 1 target segment or vice versa. I understand you create an Excel sheet with the source and target document inm separate columns, but I cannot quite see that you will always end up with a one-to-one order of segments even this way. I would be interested in knowing how you handle this.

Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
New Trados user Apr 17, 2022

What version of Trados should a seasoned freelance translator buy? How much will it cost?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Edward Apr 18, 2022

Edward Potter wrote:
What version of Trados should a seasoned freelance translator [who is a new Trados user] buy? How much will it cost?

You can only ever buy the latest version. Sometimes buying the latest version also gets you the next version, if it's close enough to the next version's release. I'm not sure if buying Trados 2021 today has Trados 2022 included in the price.

Sometimes there is a new release every year and sometimes every second year. The most important features in the releases are forwards and backwards compatible. I recommend that you get the "Freelance Plus" version so that you can use it on two computers simultaneously.

There are four ways of buying Trados:
1. At the official price on their web site, currently €855 (but it is rarely sold at this price).
2. At the permanently discounted price on their web site, currently €639.
3. Via an in-country reseller, who may be able to get you up to 50% discount on the official price.
4. Via ProZ.com special offers, usually with 15-20% off of the official price.

You can also buy Trados on subscription, currently €295 per year.

[Edited at 2022-04-18 07:28 GMT]

Edward Potter

Henrik Hdez.-Villaescus Hirsch
Henrik Hdez.-Villaescus Hirsch  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
Trados 2022: lack of information Apr 21, 2022

I think it’s very strange to sell a product without giving its specifications. I’m sure it’s a minor update of 2021, and they try to sell it as a new version.
I have even written them asking for more concrete information, and have been answered that there’s no list of improvements, just the infographic.
I don’t know if that’s legal, but in any case it’s a shame. they're selling Trados as a computer game, not as a professional software.

[Editado a las 2022-
... See more
I think it’s very strange to sell a product without giving its specifications. I’m sure it’s a minor update of 2021, and they try to sell it as a new version.
I have even written them asking for more concrete information, and have been answered that there’s no list of improvements, just the infographic.
I don’t know if that’s legal, but in any case it’s a shame. they're selling Trados as a computer game, not as a professional software.

[Editado a las 2022-04-21 11:51 GMT]
Collapse

Konat

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:23
English to Russian
RE: lack of information Apr 21, 2022

Henrik Hdez.-Villaescus Hirsch wrote:
I think it’s very strange to sell a product without giving its specifications.
I am banned from RWS services because I am Russian and because I am reluctant to withdraw my troops from you know where and I can't check it, but I am pretty sure they offer a 30-day trial version of their new product, don't they?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Stepan Apr 21, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:
Henrik Hdez.-Villaescus Hirsch wrote:
I think it’s very strange to sell a product without giving its specifications.

I am pretty sure they offer a 30-day trial version of their new product...

No, the "product" doesn't exist yet. Trados 2022 will only be released later this year. What this thread is about is the special upgrade price offered for early-bird upgraders (pay EUR 150 instead of EUR 225). I don't think that the 30-day trial applies to upgrades. When version 2022 is released, I'm sure some people who bought it will post their experiences here for everyone to see (such as myself).

[Edited at 2022-04-21 15:08 GMT]

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:23
English to Russian
Agree Apr 21, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:
Trados 2022 will only be released later this year.
Ah, right you are. They already presell it, right. Misunderstood the situation.

Sebastian Witte

Marcel Hlbočan
Marcel Hlbočan
Slovakia
Slovak to English
+ ...
Import settings Apr 26, 2022

How about a feature that would ask us whether we want to import all the custom settings, dictionaries, keyboard shortcuts, old projects, etc. It is ridiculous having to do it all manually every single time.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Matheus Chaud

Konat
Konat
English to Polish
+ ...
they say 30-day trial does apply to upgrades May 12, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:
I don't think that the 30-day trial applies to upgrades.

I asked them on live chat about this:
does this 30day term apply to upgrades as well?

to which they responded:
Yes, if you notify us within 30 days from purchase date

Edward Bradburn
Edward Bradburn
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Maybe fix the bugs first before going for new features Jun 14, 2022

A more useful approach to this marketing nonsense that serious translators are presumably very tired of by now (guys: it's not Windows, we have to use it for our work and would prefer a fast and useful tool than loads of unused features for translation agencies) would be:

- A regularly updated bug tracker
- An actual list of bugs that will be fixed

I can think offhand of at least a couple of absolute showstoppers to do with F8 QA checking that will 100% not be fix
... See more
A more useful approach to this marketing nonsense that serious translators are presumably very tired of by now (guys: it's not Windows, we have to use it for our work and would prefer a fast and useful tool than loads of unused features for translation agencies) would be:

- A regularly updated bug tracker
- An actual list of bugs that will be fixed

I can think offhand of at least a couple of absolute showstoppers to do with F8 QA checking that will 100% not be fixed as Studio lumbers along into 2022 with a little layer of new views precariously stuck onto a hodgepodge of old and new code, which has a hard time trying to stay together. And the more such bugs waste my time, the more I look elsewhere.

I'm not surprised by the Memsource share going up and would be very happy to use that instead for new clients if they so wished.

Ed
Collapse

Konat

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Freelance 2022 coming soon

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »