Why SDL Trados 2017 does not extract all text from PPTs?
Thread poster: Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa
Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa
Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:31
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 15, 2022

Dear all,

I have 6 PPT files that I translated. When I converted them back to their original format, I noticed that, to my deepest desperation, 10 slides (with their notes!) from each file, in sequence, were not converted. I thought it was a problem with reconvertion, but I discovered that these slides were even not extracted for translation.

Now I have 2 problems: I will need more time to finish those, which will impact the delivery date, and I will have undercharged t
... See more
Dear all,

I have 6 PPT files that I translated. When I converted them back to their original format, I noticed that, to my deepest desperation, 10 slides (with their notes!) from each file, in sequence, were not converted. I thought it was a problem with reconvertion, but I discovered that these slides were even not extracted for translation.

Now I have 2 problems: I will need more time to finish those, which will impact the delivery date, and I will have undercharged the client.

I used these optional configurations, but the not extracted text are regular text and Notes.

Trados Common

Although I have not checked "Comments", some were extracted!!!

What I possibly did wrong?

Thank you in advance!

Heloisa
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:31
English to Russian
PowerPoint 97-2003 vs PowerPoint 2007-2016 Apr 15, 2022

Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa wrote:
Although I have not checked "Comments", some were extracted!!!
From your screenshot I see settings for PowerPoint 97-2003. You need to check out what are the settings for 2007-2016. If you don't receive PowerPoint 97-2003 files fortranslation on a regular basis, you'd better move the PowerPoint 2007-2016 file type above the PowerPoint 97-2003 file type. The fSDL product cycles through file types from top to bottom. Sometimes it picks up the first file type it considers suitable for your translatable files. And sometimes its decisions are wrong. Moving the correct file type up will help you avoid this wrong decision.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Move up Apr 15, 2022

pjxtejhj4althimikwgi
*Compare how Excel file types go in the list: 2007-2019 first, then 97-2003. It is ok, if you work with modern formats. Unlike Excel, the Word file types are listed retrospectively. You'd better move the Microsoft Word 2007-2019 file type above the Microsoft Word 97-2003 file type too.

[Edited at 2022-04-15 23:24 GMT]

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am sorry, I posted the wrong picture Apr 16, 2022

I posted the picture for PowerPoint 97-2003, I should have posted a picture of the higher version as you mentioned. Anyway, my settings are the very same as in your picture of the higher version. The non-extracted text was common text on the slides, and the corresponding slide notes. The other slides were correctly extracted.

I read some posts at the SDL Community saying that extraction problems could be caused by the way the author prepared the document or if he used Office versio
... See more
I posted the picture for PowerPoint 97-2003, I should have posted a picture of the higher version as you mentioned. Anyway, my settings are the very same as in your picture of the higher version. The non-extracted text was common text on the slides, and the corresponding slide notes. The other slides were correctly extracted.

I read some posts at the SDL Community saying that extraction problems could be caused by the way the author prepared the document or if he used Office versions older than mine. I didn't find anything especific for PPT files.

This issue happened before, that's why I need to solve it to be prepared for the future. I hate to undercharge the client! LOL

Thank you very much for your time and help!

Helooisa
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:31
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Official forums Apr 16, 2022

This sounds like something you should post about on the official Trados forums:
https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/studio

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Hidden slides Apr 16, 2022

Sometimes presentations come with hidden slides. You can hardly see the difference between hidden and not hidden slides unless you have been warned beforehand.

This
The non-extracted text was common text on the slides, and the corresponding slide notes.
sounds like the slides are hidden.
2022-04-16_150300

[Edited at 2022-04-16 15:04 GMT]

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hidden slides Apr 16, 2022

Bingo, Stepan! This is the case!

Trados example hidden text

Problem solved, I could unhide them!

Thanks a ton for saving my life!

Best!

Heloisa

Stepan Konev
Mark Nathan

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:31
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Or Apr 16, 2022

Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa wrote:
Problem solved, I could unhide them!

And/or, ask the client if you were supposed to translate hidden slides.

Jorge Payan

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
RE: ask the client Apr 16, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote: ask the client if you were supposed to translate hidden slides.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Just wanted to say that on one hand you can check the 'Hidden content' box, but in this case you may translate something that your client doesn't need translated. On the other hand, you can manually unhide slides, but in this case you have to do it every time you receive a presentation. I agree with Samuel that you'd better discuss the hidden slides policy with your client. If this is their standard practice, probably you should create a client-specific project with relevant hidden content settings.

Jorge Payan
Mark Nathan
Elina Andriamananahasinoro

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, guys Apr 16, 2022

I will certainly do that!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why SDL Trados 2017 does not extract all text from PPTs?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »