Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:21
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
May 2, 2022

Hi everyone,

I´ve been asked by a client to work in an online CAT-Tool I did not particularly like. So the other option was to download an xliff, translate it in Trados and then upload it back to their CAT-Tool.

On downloading it was automatically converted to XML, and importing it into Trados went smoothly. So now I want to upload it back.

But how do I convert the Trados-specific sdlxliff back to XML?

Thanks for any help.

Manuela

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Generate target translations May 2, 2022

Manuela Junghans wrote:
But how do I convert the Trados-specific sdlxliff back to XML?

Right-click the file in the list, select Batch Tasks, and then "Generate target translations".

Marco Oberto

Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Samuel May 2, 2022

Many thanks for your lightning-fast and very helpful reply.

It worked - so easy, if you know how

Manuela

Oriol Vives (X)
Oriol Vives (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Catalan
+ ...
There is quite the number of posts open with this same question May 6, 2022

Didn't you see/check the other forums before posting? I think you just violated the site's rules.

On a side note, you can't do it if the file was initially a sdlxliff, and Trados usually generates a file with the same format. If you got an xliff, then you can produce either an xliff or a sdlxliff, but you can't go from sdlxliff to xliff; it's just not possible.

Either do what Samuel said (export or generate), or "save as" and choose the right file extension.

[Ed
... See more
Didn't you see/check the other forums before posting? I think you just violated the site's rules.

On a side note, you can't do it if the file was initially a sdlxliff, and Trados usually generates a file with the same format. If you got an xliff, then you can produce either an xliff or a sdlxliff, but you can't go from sdlxliff to xliff; it's just not possible.

Either do what Samuel said (export or generate), or "save as" and choose the right file extension.

[Edited at 2022-05-06 14:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-05-06 14:37 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:21
English to Russian
Didn't you see/check May 6, 2022

Oriol Vives wrote:
Didn't you see/check the
original poster's reply?

BTW, do you know the difference between XML and XLIFF?
XLIFF is XML-based, but so is DOCX for example. They are not equivalent. And the original poster's question was about XML, not XLIFF.

[Edited at 2022-05-06 15:52 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Oriol May 7, 2022

Oriol Vives wrote:

I don't think asking a question that may have been asked previously contravenes any forum rules. The rule "Do not post the same topic multiple times or to multiple forums" relates to posting in multiple subforums simultaneously.

Either do what Samuel said (export or generate), or "Save as" and choose the right file extension.

I don't have "Save as" in my Trados, but I do have File > "Save Target As" (if that is what you mean). One can also press Shift+F12. But as far as I know, you can't choose a file extension -- the file is always saved with its original file extension.

[Edited at 2022-05-07 08:03 GMT]

Stepan Konev

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how do I convert sdlxliff back to XML?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »