Thread poster: katiej
katiej
katiej  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:04
French to English
+ ...
May 19, 2022

Hi, I know there are other posts about this in the past, but i'm looking for help with sdl multiterm. It has suddenly stopped loading for me today of all days, when I urgently need it to submit work. When I click on it to open it, it starts initialising then goes blank.

Does anyone have any ideas what to do? I've tried the repair workaround mentioned on the RWS website but it hasn't worked. And when I do the appdata workaround, I get to "Roaming" in my directory but then there are
... See more
Hi, I know there are other posts about this in the past, but i'm looking for help with sdl multiterm. It has suddenly stopped loading for me today of all days, when I urgently need it to submit work. When I click on it to open it, it starts initialising then goes blank.

Does anyone have any ideas what to do? I've tried the repair workaround mentioned on the RWS website but it hasn't worked. And when I do the appdata workaround, I get to "Roaming" in my directory but then there are no SDL files.

I don't have a support agreement with RWS so can't log a request with them.

Many thanks.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:04
English to Russian
Why do you need Multiterm May 19, 2022

Do you have a task specifically related to Multiterm? Please describe what you want to do.

katiej wrote:
I don't have a support agreement with RWS so can't log a request with them.
Actually, even if you don't have an agreement, you still can post your issue at their community. I can't access it anymore because I conquered Ukraine (at least this is how they see it), but most probably you should use this link: https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/multiterm
Ask a question there by clicking New+ button (or +New, can't recall exactly). Probably they will help you even without the agreement.
However it may take several days for them to respond. Simply post your question there and meanwhile try other workarounds. If you only need Multiterm to use terms in your translation, you don't need Multiterm for that (look at this thread: Barbara L Pavlik "somehow" worked with terms even though she didn't know where to take Multiterm from). If you need to convert your termbase into Excel for example, you can use a free app from their appstore: https://appstore.rws.com/language/app/glossary-converter/195/
If you are supposed to complete a different task, please elaborate.

[Edited at 2022-05-19 14:43 GMT]

katiej
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
App May 19, 2022

Thanks Stepan, I've tried posting the issue, but it says my post is pending review from the moderator, and I don't have time to wait days for an answer. All I need is to consult terms I have in the glossary. I exported my termbase a few years ago, but it's not up to date anymore. so do you think i can convert my termbase to excel without even being able to open it? If so, I'll definitely try the app you mention. thank you.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
SDLTB May 19, 2022

If your termbase has the sdltb extension, you simply add it to your project directly in Studio. Or do you want to consult it outside of Studio, like in Excel? What is the file type (extension) of your glossary now?
You can send me your glossary by email. I will convert it for you to save time and then will return with a detailed instruction for you to do the same on your own next time.

[Edited at 2022-05-19 16:38 GMT]

katiej
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Conversion May 19, 2022

Thanks very much for the offer Stepan, I've now managed to convert my sdltb to excel so that I can consult it outside of Trados (which I don't tend to use anymore).

Stepan Konev

off-screen? May 20, 2022

If your operating system is indicating that MultiTerm Desktop is active and you're just not seeing it (in Windows, shown as active in the task bar), it's possible that its open but hanging out off screen. There are ways to move the window back onto the screen, e.g. Windows + arrow keys. Maybe that will help.

katiej

katiej
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Off-screen May 20, 2022

Yes, that is absolutely what happened. I managed to solve it last night, thank you so much!

Glad you're sorted May 23, 2022

🙂

Shawn Champion
Shawn Champion  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 13:04
Swedish to English
+ ...
stopped working - forgot to block all Studio outbound permissions May 24, 2022

Stopped working in the middle of a job. Have updated everything now, reset layouts, etc., so sick of this. Like once a year something just stops working for no reason. I CHANGED NOTHING. This can only mean that Studio phoned home and broke it. Now I've updated everything, and guess what? Still broken. Cool. While I have a tight deadline. Fun. And zero useful solutions here, just 500 steps to reset your entire computer in the hopes that it will work again.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Be specific to gain in usefulness May 24, 2022

Shawn Champion wrote:
Stopped working
This description is not specific enough to understand what went wrong. “My Trados is broken, it stopped working”. Er... What does that mean?
In this thread, MultiTerm simply got off screen. This situation could be easily fixed by pressing Win+arrow buttons if the problem description was more specific.
In another thread, there was an issue going like “My software doesn’t work”. At the end of the day, it turned out that the topic starter forgot to install the “malfunctioning” software.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL multiterm not loading

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »