New Blog for ENPL Translators
Thread poster: Moofi
Moofi
Moofi  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:11
Polish to English
+ ...
Mar 1, 2011

Hello and dzięn dobry! I'd just like to draw your attention to a new blog that I started recently. It's specifically about common problems in EnglishPolish translating, but also more generally about translating and being a translator.

It's primarily written in English because I'm an Englishman who has lived in Poland for eight years. I have worked as a freelance writer in journalism, copy-editing and proofreading for most of my working life, and currently work for a Polish translat
... See more
Hello and dzięn dobry! I'd just like to draw your attention to a new blog that I started recently. It's specifically about common problems in EnglishPolish translating, but also more generally about translating and being a translator.

It's primarily written in English because I'm an Englishman who has lived in Poland for eight years. I have worked as a freelance writer in journalism, copy-editing and proofreading for most of my working life, and currently work for a Polish translating agency as their in-house proofreader.

I try to cover a different issue every morning, and in the evenings there will be feature articles, guest columns, interviews and other translating-related stuff. It's early days yet, but I have hopes 'do góry'.

Anyway, please feel free to stop by and look. Witaj w moim blog'u! http://bad-article.blogspot.com/
Collapse

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
wow Mar 1, 2011

I read the two uppermost posts. (How about that for an awkward sentence.) You give excellent advice. I think false friends and common mistakes make a great subject, and you have a good shot at attracting interest (but nobody will admit that they're reading your blog of course, especially if you stick to topics that there's a lot of noise (thus, little quality information) about on the internet.

I'm not sure how you'll
... See more
I read the two uppermost posts. (How about that for an awkward sentence.) You give excellent advice. I think false friends and common mistakes make a great subject, and you have a good shot at attracting interest (but nobody will admit that they're reading your blog of course, especially if you stick to topics that there's a lot of noise (thus, little quality information) about on the internet.

I'm not sure how you'll manage to post daily though. I run an investment/economics blog and I struggle to post on a weekly basis

[Edited at 2011-03-01 10:49 GMT]
Collapse

Moofi
Moofi  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you :) Mar 1, 2011

Thanks for checking it out, I'm glad you liked it! Yes, after just a week, I'm beginning to see how it could be a problem. Fortunately, I have a vast stock of technical language things we can discuss, but the evening feature articles are proving a challenge. I have some interesting things lined up though, so it could be a while yet before I start really sweating .

Thanks again, and feel free to stop by any time.... See more
Thanks for checking it out, I'm glad you liked it! Yes, after just a week, I'm beginning to see how it could be a problem. Fortunately, I have a vast stock of technical language things we can discuss, but the evening feature articles are proving a challenge. I have some interesting things lined up though, so it could be a while yet before I start really sweating .

Thanks again, and feel free to stop by any time.
Collapse

Michal Glowacki
Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
Nice! Mar 1, 2011

I've had a look at few articles and I like what you're writing about. I even took the liberty to post a comment. I think it's an excellent idea and I will definitely add that to my reading list. I try to read things from it on a regular basis, but I guess we all know how that usually works out

Anyway, I think it's the little things that are really interesting and probably make a text stand out most visibly to a native
... See more
I've had a look at few articles and I like what you're writing about. I even took the liberty to post a comment. I think it's an excellent idea and I will definitely add that to my reading list. I try to read things from it on a regular basis, but I guess we all know how that usually works out

Anyway, I think it's the little things that are really interesting and probably make a text stand out most visibly to a native speaker. So thumbs up and I hope you manage to keep up with writing it on a regular basis. I wouldn't hold a grudge if you didn't do it daily as I can see how after a week or two that might become difficult. But any regularity will be good

Cheers!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Blog for ENPL Translators

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »