Ashley Wans
Ashley Wans  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 11, 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a dictionary of Spanish idiomatic phrases. A bilingual English-Spanish version would be great, but a monolingual Spanish version would work also. Searching Amazon thus far hasn't found me any options. Does anyone here know of such a dictionary and/or where I could find one?

Thanks for your help!

Marianela Melleda
Marianela Melleda  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 02:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Modismos" in Spanish May 11, 2011

I looked through Amazon by the word "modismos" and I found some books which could be of help. Anyway, I think that it is difficult to find many idioms which are the same for all the Spanish speaking countries.

In internet I found an Spanish dictionary of idioms which is divided by countries of origin, it could also be helpful to you: http://www.jergasdehablahispana.org/.

Ashley Wans
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the input and link! May 11, 2011

Marianela Melleda wrote:

I looked through Amazon by the word "modismos" and I found some books which could be of help. Anyway, I think that it is difficult to find many idioms which are the same for all the Spanish speaking countries.

In internet I found an Spanish dictionary of idioms which is divided by countries of origin, it could also be helpful to you: http://www.jergasdehablahispana.org/.

All the variation is part of why I am seeking some sort of resource or reference. I don't get a huge amount of work that invloves idiomatic phrases that are unfamiliar, but I have gotten some and it would be nice to have something that gives thorough explanations (or at least some kind of explanation) about the phrases.

Now I'm off to take a look at the link!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:52
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just in case it is important May 11, 2011

Can you tell us what flavours of Spanish do you translate from/into?

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Big Red Book May 11, 2011

The Big Red Book of Spanish Idioms (Peter Weibel/McGraw Hill) is excellent and inexpensive. It's ordered by key words, which makes it quite easy to find your way to a particular idiom. And it gives the English equivalent or an explanation if there isn't a common equivalent.
HTH

Ashley Wans
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Perfect! May 12, 2011

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

The Big Red Book of Spanish Idioms (Peter Weibel/McGraw Hill) is excellent and inexpensive. It's ordered by key words, which makes it quite easy to find your way to a particular idiom. And it gives the English equivalent or an explanation if there isn't a common equivalent.
HTH

Thank you! This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

Simon Dean
Simon Dean  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
Barron's 2001 Spanish and English Idioms May 12, 2011

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spanish-English-Barrons-Foreign-Language/dp/0764137441/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1305181339&sr=8-6

I just bought the book myself the other day, and it's really worth it as a resource! I keep it handy on my shelf right next to where I work.

It's a half-and-half. You can fin
... See more
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spanish-English-Barrons-Foreign-Language/dp/0764137441/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1305181339&sr=8-6

I just bought the book myself the other day, and it's really worth it as a resource! I keep it handy on my shelf right next to where I work.

It's a half-and-half. You can find Spanish idioms and their respective English ones in the front of the book, and vice-versa in the back of the book.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Simon.
Collapse

Thierry Jamez
Thierry Jamez  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
An easy tool May 12, 2011

Good morning Ashley,

Your question reminded me an old book lying on my bookshelves. “Refranero español, Collección de 8.000 refranes populares ordenados, concordados y explicados por JOSE BERGUA, published in 1977… This is of course a treasure of all kinds of Spanish idioms.

However, this leads us to a very inexpensive tool!
I suggest that you google the terms “refranero español”, dichos, refranes, etc.
This leads you to thousands of links.
... See more
Good morning Ashley,

Your question reminded me an old book lying on my bookshelves. “Refranero español, Collección de 8.000 refranes populares ordenados, concordados y explicados por JOSE BERGUA, published in 1977… This is of course a treasure of all kinds of Spanish idioms.

However, this leads us to a very inexpensive tool!
I suggest that you google the terms “refranero español”, dichos, refranes, etc.
This leads you to thousands of links.
Probably even to other treasures!

Best regards,

Thierry
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another suggestion May 12, 2011

Another book which has worked for me many times:

Diccionario fraseológico documentado del español actual (locuciones y modismos españoles), by Manuel Seco/Olimpia Andrés/Gabino Ramos, Aguilar Lexicografía, ISBN 84-294-7674-1.

I can recommend all Aguilar Lexicografía books in general!

Good luck with it!

Claudia Reali
Claudia Reali  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Instituto Cervantes repository Mar 16, 2012

Hello everyone!
Here's a link to Instituto Cervantes:

http://cvc.cervantes.es/lengua/refranero/Default.aspx

It's an online repository of idiomatic expressions in several languages. It still needs much work done but it's growing little by little.

Best!

Clau

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking dictionary of Spanish idioms

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »