Find tool in word
Thread poster: jethro
jethro
jethro
French to English
+ ...
Feb 10, 2012

I have a problem with the Find tool in word. I have built up several glossaries in Word files over the years and sometime when I use the Find tool to look up a term or I wish to do Find and Replace in a text to be translated the Find feature, unaccountably, stops working, so I have to close all the open files to get the tool operating again. Any ideas on how to get round this problem please?

Walter Moura
Walter Moura  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:34
English to Portuguese
Copy and Paste to Excel Feb 24, 2012

I had this same problem some years ago.

I suppose your glossaries are all in tabled form.

I also had many glossaries in Word, until I perceived this very problem.

When I searched my glossaries, Word would freeze, and I had to reset it. Sometimes it cost me several lines of work.

I then copied my glossaries to an Excel file. Just one is enough.

I can open other tabs in the same file. One tab for each subject. And the find funct
... See more
I had this same problem some years ago.

I suppose your glossaries are all in tabled form.

I also had many glossaries in Word, until I perceived this very problem.

When I searched my glossaries, Word would freeze, and I had to reset it. Sometimes it cost me several lines of work.

I then copied my glossaries to an Excel file. Just one is enough.

I can open other tabs in the same file. One tab for each subject. And the find function of Excel allows me to search all tabs at once. And it never freezes on me. And I can save this file on the Web as backup. Gmail has plenty of space.

Just open an Excel file. Then open one of your Word files. Copy one or two columns at a time and paste it/them to your Excel file. Save it. You're ready.

To find in Excel: Ctrl+short cut for finding; Click the "Options" button. Select "Work Folder" (It is under the option "Spreadsheet"). Press the button "Find All". You will have to do this just once for the entire session.

Excell will search through all tabs, present the results, which you can browse with the arrow keys.

Good Luck.
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:34
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Memory issue? Feb 24, 2012

I just had this problem today in Word. It wouldn't freeze per se, just appeared not to find the selected string even though it was clearly in the document. Closing unused Word files as well as any extraneous programs got it working again. I suspect that some form of memory issue was at fault.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Find tool in word

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »