Best spellcheck for different languages?
Autor wątku: Adrian Aley
Adrian Aley
Adrian Aley
Japonia
Local time: 08:51
japoński > angielski
+ ...
Sep 5, 2012

Hi everyone,

I was talking with a colleague a little while back, and we got into discussing spellchecking for different languages. Based on our discussion, my understanding is that some languages don't have a "spellcheck" because there is no "spelling," but rather something akin to "grammar check." (As is the case in Chinese, I believe.)

While I would guess Word spellcheck would be pretty common, I was wondering how everyone conducts spellcheck in their own languages, i
... See more
Hi everyone,

I was talking with a colleague a little while back, and we got into discussing spellchecking for different languages. Based on our discussion, my understanding is that some languages don't have a "spellcheck" because there is no "spelling," but rather something akin to "grammar check." (As is the case in Chinese, I believe.)

While I would guess Word spellcheck would be pretty common, I was wondering how everyone conducts spellcheck in their own languages, if there's anything unique to the language that would make it difficult to conduct a standard check, and if there are any tools or programs you use for spellcheck in your language.

Is Word or TagEditor a good enough quality, or do you use (or need) something better?

I know there's software created specifically for spellchecking in a certain languages, so it's just something I was wondering and looking to learn a bit about.

I'd appreciate any thoughts!

Thanks.

Adrian
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:51
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > rosyjski
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Hunspell Sep 5, 2012

Adrian Aley wrote:

Is Word or TagEditor a good enough quality, or do you use (or need) something better?

For Russian, Word’s spellcheck is quite poor, for Belarusian and Esperanto it does not exist. I prefer Hunspell as implemented in Apache OpenOffice, Mozilla Firefox, OmegaT and some other programs.

Al Arafat
Al Arafat  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 19:51
angielski > bengalski
+ ...
Bengali spell checker Sep 5, 2012

In Bengali, "Avro 5.0" (freeware) introduced new spell checker. That's reasonably good.

Adrian Aley
Adrian Aley
Japonia
japoński > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Spell check Sep 7, 2012

Thanks for your replies.

I would have though Microsoft would have something of decent quality for Russian, but I guess not! I would be interested to know what the status of spell check is for languages like Arabic.

Thanks also for the info on Bengali, I guess many languages really do need their own checking tools/software.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:51
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > rosyjski
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not Microsoft actually Sep 7, 2012

Adrian Aley wrote:

I would have though Microsoft would have something of decent quality for Russian

They have nothing at all. They only implemented in Microsoft Office a cut-down version of Orfo (well-known spell check program developed in Russia) of around 1997 production year. Since then, Orfo did develop, but the Big Greedy Company did not care to update (I’ve heard, Microsoft Office 2010 introduced some changes, but not sure if it’s something of improvement or merely cosmetic).

Adrian Aley
Adrian Aley
Japonia
japoński > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
I've heard of Orfo Sep 18, 2012

Sorry for my delayed reply.

I've actually heard of Orfo, and did not realize that Microsoft was using a cut down version.
I guess people should be hesitant in trusting Microsoft's spellchecker in languages other than English.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best spellcheck for different languages?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »