Book recommendations: how translation has affected the dissemination of scientific knowledge?
Thread poster: Natalia Pastor Pearce
Natalia Pastor Pearce
Natalia Pastor Pearce
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:25
Member (2023)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 10, 2017

Hello everyone!

Just out of interest, in my free time I'm researching how translation has affected the dissemination of scientific knowledge around the world - how original ideas might have been changed or adapted, reasons for/consequences of this, etc. A very broad topic and, it seems, one that hasn't been addressed much.

I'm currently reading "Science in Translation", Montgomery 2000, and finding it quite a 'heavy' read. I'm looking for something a little more digest
... See more
Hello everyone!

Just out of interest, in my free time I'm researching how translation has affected the dissemination of scientific knowledge around the world - how original ideas might have been changed or adapted, reasons for/consequences of this, etc. A very broad topic and, it seems, one that hasn't been addressed much.

I'm currently reading "Science in Translation", Montgomery 2000, and finding it quite a 'heavy' read. I'm looking for something a little more digestable (and less academic), maybe in a similar tone to "Guns, Germs and Steel", Jared Diamond. I've never studied translation at university and have no connections I could ask, so does anyone have any suggestions?

-----------

On another note, as previously mentioned, I have no academic training in translation. I have read most of the important books in translation masters reading lists, incl. Venuti's "Translation Studies Reader" and Mona Baker's "In Other Words". It's safe to say I have a firm grasp of translation theory and ethics, and would like to turn to more practical material. Though I'm a practising translator, I firmly believe there's always something to improve on.

Yes, the obvious answer here is "do a translation course" - already looking into it, but my current time constraints mean that self-learning is my only option for the moment.

I've already worked my way through "Thinking German Translation" and "Thinking Spanish Translation". Are there any other books that have a similar practical, self-learning approach?

N.B. My source languages are Spanish, Catalan and German. Target language is English.

Thank you in advance
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Book recommendations: how translation has affected the dissemination of scientific knowledge?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »