Thread poster: Daniel Rich
Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:17
English to Turkish
Depends on where you live Apr 6, 2023

Stephen Emm wrote:
but what is the attraction for the younger generation to become translators when you can't really make a decent living off it?

If you're not too fussy about where you live, you can make a more than decent living. I occasionally see Dutch or Swedish translators here hailing from countries like Peru, Philippines, Thailand etc.. they must be living the high life in those places if they're working with European agencies (well, their body clock must suffer as a result of that, but you've gotta make sacrifices, no?).
I don't know about the British youth (you must know them better, being a teacher), but the younger generation here is mostly clueless as far as the mastery of their target (and source) languages due to not having read any books in their lives (reading stuff on social media or watching TV series on streaming services doesn't improve your literacy and linguistic skills that much, it would seem). So I increasingly notice that the MT is producing a lot better output than young human translators, which is a worrying sign, but also an encouraging sign in that you see how crap they are and it makes you realize how good you actually are (thanks to the education received prior to the advent of the internet).
I make decent money out of this job, but there are other aspects of it that I truly hate about like unpredictability, having to be available all the time, being deskbound and cooped up at home etc.
If I could back in time I'd have chosen a different profession for those reasons alone, not because of financial concerns.

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Yasutomo Kanazawa
Matthias Brombach
Yaotl Altan

Joe France
Joe France  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:17
Member (2016)
German to English
+ ...
Not wholly accurate Apr 6, 2023

Stephen Emm wrote:

True to some extent, but what is the attraction for the younger generation to become translators when you can't really make a decent living off it?

Clinging on to my twenties for dear life, so not sure if I'm quite the "younger generation" you mean - or if you're referring to people in their teens/at university thinking about a future career, but you absolutely can make a decent living from translation. I mean, I am looking to diversify my skillset, qualifications and expertise to give me the option of an off-ramp into another industry at some point in the future. However, I'm only able to do that because I've made a solid living from translation over the last seven years or so.

Is there more competition than ever? Yes.
Do technological trends (MT, etc.) pose significant challenges? Yes.
Is it impossible to make a decent living? No.

I'm not blindly optimistic, but there are a whole host of young translators (i.e. under 35 y.o.) I know of, either personally or from their profiles on this site, including in competitive language pairs. Many of them are perfectly competent, too – before we get onto the age-old refrain of bashing every translator without 20 years' experience. Not everyone will succeed, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

[Edited at 2023-04-06 14:16 GMT]

Lieven Malaise
expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Becca Resnik
Paul Malone

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 20:17
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Thoughts (and prayers) Apr 6, 2023

Stephen Emm wrote:
This is not "tunnel vision" but rather looking at the general developments in the translation industry, rather than just focusing on your own practice.

Looking at the general developments also includes adapting to it. I'm able to offer a reduced MTPE rate without earning less money in general. In the mean time I'm still doing mainly conventional translation, but looking at certain trends without acting on it might not be the best idea. Things change and that goes for every profession.

Stephen Emm wrote:
Sure, some people have lots of direct customers and a rarer language pair which is great for them, but most translators rely on agencies to provide work to a lesser or greater extent and have been impacted by the changes in the industry,

I have one direct client that represents about 1% of my turnover. All my other clients are agencies (only 4 of them are Belgian, so I wouldn't over-estimate my 'bilingual' situation) that offer me loads of work, mainly conventional translation work. You just can't generalize.

expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
For balance Apr 6, 2023

Stephen Emm wrote:
True to some extent, but what is the attraction for the younger generation to become translators when you can't really make a decent living off it?

I do.

If people don't enter the industry or leave the industry as they are currently doing in droves, what is the future?

Don’t they? Are they? There’s no shortage of translators. If there were, prices would be rising.

It is the large translation companies and new technology that are driving prices down - not poorly-paid translators.

It’s not the agencies. They are just agencies. It’s the translators who work for less. They do this because there are too many translators.

I largely share your pessimistic outlook and wouldn’t recommend translation as a career, but oddly I don’t agree with anything at all you say. Plenty of people are thriving. It’s too easy to blame “the market”.

[Edited at 2023-04-06 16:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-04-12 05:20 GMT]

Kevin Fulton

Peng Zi
Peng Zi  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 02:17
Member (2021)
Russian to Chinese
+ ...
ChatGPT Apr 8, 2023

Especially with the advent of ChatGPT, the translation industry may face even more challenges. However, based on my experience using ChatGPT, its best role is still as a translation assistance tool (for polishing text). Moreover, it may provide inaccurate information for the topics it is not familiar with or has no knowledge about. Therefore, it still requires a considerable amount of human intervention. As an audio industry professional, when translating, I naturally refer to ChatGPT for text p... See more
Especially with the advent of ChatGPT, the translation industry may face even more challenges. However, based on my experience using ChatGPT, its best role is still as a translation assistance tool (for polishing text). Moreover, it may provide inaccurate information for the topics it is not familiar with or has no knowledge about. Therefore, it still requires a considerable amount of human intervention. As an audio industry professional, when translating, I naturally refer to ChatGPT for text polishing, but I never trust it for the topics I am not familiar with.Collapse

Jorge Payan

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@Peng Zi Apr 9, 2023

Peng Zi wrote:

Especially with the advent of ChatGPT, the translation industry may face even more challenges. However, based on my experience using ChatGPT, its best role is still as a translation assistance tool (for polishing text). Moreover, it may provide inaccurate information for the topics it is not familiar with or has no knowledge about. Therefore, it still requires a considerable amount of human intervention. As an audio industry professional, when translating, I naturally refer to ChatGPT for text polishing, but I never trust it for the topics I am not familiar with.

Did you you it to polish that post?🤔

Stephen Emm
Stephen Emm  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
The long-term view? Apr 11, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Stephen Emm wrote:
This is not "tunnel vision" but rather looking at the general developments in the translation industry, rather than just focusing on your own practice.

Looking at the general developments also includes adapting to it. I'm able to offer a reduced MTPE rate without earning less money in general. In the mean time I'm still doing mainly conventional translation, but looking at certain trends without acting on it might not be the best idea. Things change and that goes for every profession.

Stephen Emm wrote:
Sure, some people have lots of direct customers and a rarer language pair which is great for them, but most translators rely on agencies to provide work to a lesser or greater extent and have been impacted by the changes in the industry,

I have one direct client that represents about 1% of my turnover. All my other clients are agencies (only 4 of them are Belgian, so I wouldn't over-estimate my 'bilingual' situation) that offer me loads of work, mainly conventional translation work. You just can't generalize.

But you are aware that the amount of the MTPE work is only going to increase? How will you maintain your income, when the majority of your work is MTPE?

Also, you charge .09 euros per source word, some French to English translators were charging this rate over 20 years' ago! What does that tell you about translation rates and the general trends in the industry? Not particularly healthy, I would say.

Of course, you can make a living from it, for now...

It would be really interesting to know, on an anonymous forum perhaps, how much people actually earn and how many hours they work as this would give a true picture of the earnings situation.

Stephen Emm
Stephen Emm  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Good points Apr 11, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

Stephen Emm wrote:
but what is the attraction for the younger generation to become translators when you can't really make a decent living off it?

If you're not too fussy about where you live, you can make a more than decent living. I occasionally see Dutch or Swedish translators here hailing from countries like Peru, Philippines, Thailand etc.. they must be living the high life in those places if they're working with European agencies (well, their body clock must suffer as a result of that, but you've gotta make sacrifices, no?).
I don't know about the British youth (you must know them better, being a teacher), but the younger generation here is mostly clueless as far as the mastery of their target (and source) languages due to not having read any books in their lives (reading stuff on social media or watching TV series on streaming services doesn't improve your literacy and linguistic skills that much, it would seem). So I increasingly notice that the MT is producing a lot better output than young human translators, which is a worrying sign, but also an encouraging sign in that you see how crap they are and it makes you realize how good you actually are (thanks to the education received prior to the advent of the internet).
I make decent money out of this job, but there are other aspects of it that I truly hate about like unpredictability, having to be available all the time, being deskbound and cooped up at home etc.
If I could back in time I'd have chosen a different profession for those reasons alone, not because of financial concerns.

I agree, if I were a young British translator coming into the profession now, I would probably move abroad to a low cost country and live comfortably over there.
I got to the position where I had a wife and family to support and the income from translation became too unpredictable.
The increasing number of PMTE jobs and rate stagnation meant that I needed to find a more secure profession, but I imagine that you can make a comfortable living working in your language pair.
I hope you continue to!

Baran Keki
Tony Keily

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:17
English to Turkish
Money Apr 11, 2023

Stephen Emm wrote:
The increasing number of PMTE jobs and rate stagnation meant that I needed to find a more secure profession, but I imagine that you can make a comfortable living working in your language pair.
I hope you continue to!

Btw there was this young chap (translating from Russian and Norwegian) from the USA who claimed to have broken the record of 100k a year about 2 years ago. I remember a few forum members making similar claims as well (one was from UK, other from Portugal if memory serves). One of your countrymen (who sought asylum in Wales) said that he bought 2 houses in the UK from translation. So it seems that making a decent living in the affluent countries is still possible. But the general mood is one of pessimism these days what with the infernal ChatGPT and all that...

[Edited at 2023-04-11 13:30 GMT]

Christopher Schröder

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Answers to questions Apr 11, 2023

Stephen Emm wrote:
But you are aware that the amount of the MTPE work is only going to increase? How will you maintain your income, when the majority of your work is MTPE?

It already doesn't matter, because I make up for the lower rate by increased speed (and that's why I can offer a lower rate in the first place). I post-edit more words per day, but in the same time as conventional translation. So one conventional translation hour earns me the same money as one post-editing hour. It basically comes down to the holy principle of translation : make sure your translation and post-editing rate match your hourly rate.

Stephen Emm wrote:
Also, you charge .09 euros per source word, some French to English translators were charging this rate over 20 years' ago! What does that tell you about translation rates and the general trends in the industry? Not particularly healthy, I would say.

I started about 18 years ago with a rate of 0.07 and it allowed me to make a living out of it, including for my family, in a time where my translation speed was about half of what it is now. I don't know what it says about translation rates. Perhaps that translators at some point used to be overpaid.

Stephen Emm wrote:
Of course, you can make a living from it, for now...

See above. I make a living from it since 2005 and earn today about twice as much as my first full year (2006). I'll let you know when my ship has sunk (if everything goes to plan, it will sink together with the whole translation industry and human kind in general). Don't expect me to start whining about it, though. I'll just switch a button in my head and start working wherever my services are still useful, even if it has nothing to do with languages.

Stephen Emm wrote:
It would be really interesting to know, on an anonymous forum perhaps, how much people actually earn and how many hours they work as this would give a true picture of the earnings situation.

And why exactly would you have to know that ? Like every other Far West industry where every clown is able to start working in it (for example like the catering business) you have people who do well and an awful lot of other people who fail miserably, mainly because they are in one way or another not fit to succeed in this business.

[Edited at 2023-04-11 14:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-04-11 14:37 GMT]

expressisverbis

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:17
English to Arabic
+ ...
To MT-subordinates. Something Head of State! Apr 16, 2023

Original tweet, in English:
"the PM and @POTUS reflected on the transformative legacy"
https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1646141120051568645?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet|twtr^true

Translated tweet, by Twitter, in Arabic:
"انعكس رئيس الوزراء و @POTUS �
... See more
Original tweet, in English:
"the PM and @POTUS reflected on the transformative legacy"
https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1646141120051568645?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet|twtr^true

Translated tweet, by Twitter, in Arabic:
"انعكس رئيس الوزراء و @POTUS على الإرث التحويلي"

Which back-translates into:
"the PM and @POTUS mirrored on the metamorphous legacy"

Whereas the original meaning was:
"the PM and @POTUS pondered on the progress/advancement/development/improvement/betterment/etc.-causing/shaping/giving/etc. legacy"

I see no point in having such a translation in the first place. What could be the point of a translation if it can't convey the actual meaning?

That's now the point where MT is stuck, and MT-subordinates are, however, shamelessly 24/7 cheering a usable product. But, is it really?
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Nothing Apr 16, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

I wouldn’t recommend translation as a career

I wouldn't recommend anything as a career. Careers are over. We won't need to have careers any more. We'll have T E C H N O LO G Y to do them for us. We'll just live off the fat o' the land (apologies to Steinbeck).

[Edited at 2023-04-16 15:48 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Question of time Apr 16, 2023

Sadek_A wrote:

I see no point in having such a translation in the first place. What could be the point of a translation if it can't convey the actual meaning?

That's now the point where MT is stuck, and MT-subordinates are, however, shamelessly 24/7 cheering a usable product. But, is it really?

Perhaps MT still only works better within "Western" languages (as you would probably put it) and still fails a bit between Germanic languages and Roman / Slavic languages. Arabic and all the Far Eastern languages have very different grammar compared to the Germanic languages and these combinations need more sophisticated algorithms and databases. But I'm sure that's only a question of time before even there MT will be able to deliver more usable results than today.

Christopher Schröder
Jorge Payan

David GAY
David GAY
English to French
+ ...
secret Apr 17, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:
I post-edit more words per day, but in the same time as conventional translation.

so it s your trade secret...

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
No secret Apr 17, 2023

David GAY wrote:
so it s your trade secret...

There is no secret. Only hard work, use of available tools, willingness to learn and patience.

Jorge Payan
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translation is dead as a profession

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »