Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:03
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Start Jul 27, 2023

Maciek Drobka wrote:

To me, adding insulation cost to the already high cost of having a heat pump installed makes this particular technology highly unattractive economically. Heaven knows how much I'd have to wait for a return on my investment.

YOu could start with the insulation. That's always a good thing to do, regardless of what heating system you're using. You must be wasting a lot of heat (and money) at the moment with your existing heating system.

Rachel Waddington

Maciek Drobka
Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:03
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
. Jul 27, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Maciek Drobka wrote:

To me, adding insulation cost to the already high cost of having a heat pump installed makes this particular technology highly unattractive economically. Heaven knows how much I'd have to wait for a return on my investment.

YOu could start with the insulation. That's always a good thing to do, regardless of what heating system you're using. You must be wasting a lot of heat (and money) at the moment with your existing heating system.

I currently spend between €1000 and €1200 worth of natural gas and wood per year to heat my house and bathing water. At the current prices, I'd end up at approx. 10-year ROI timeframe for a heat pump investment. If I were in my 30s, I might be tempted. At almost 50, I am not. Insulation could be a little cheaper, though, and perhaps worth a look, savings permitting.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
50% Jul 27, 2023

Maciek Drobka wrote:

I currently spend between €1000 and €1200 worth of natural gas and wood per year to heat my house and bathing water.

If you insulate (and double glaze your windows) you could cut that by 50% or more depending on how good the insulation is. Preferably use insulation made from natural materials, not plastic.

https://www.leafscore.com/prefab/the-best-materials-for-eco-friendly-insulation/

Maciek Drobka

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Social aspect Jul 27, 2023

Maciek Drobka wrote:
ROI

This is another important aspect of this issue. It’s so much easier for people with money to be green.

Maciek Drobka

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@Charlie Jul 27, 2023

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Our resident sceptics

Reading back through the thread, I would suggest that the comments from both "Ice Cream" and "Lingua 5B" (both coincidentally under the cloak of anonymity, although I think I know who the former is from when I was on here years ago) could justifiably be described as "climate sceptic", although to be fair, there's not much in the way of serious counter argument. Just a combination of "yeah but you've all got a carbon footprint too" (as per your cartoon) and "we can't do everything so let's do nothing". Nothing you'd call exactly intellectually rigorous.

I think you need to read the thread again, then. Or the TLDR in my reply to Joe. Because that isn’t at all what I have said. It’s rather typical of the internet and of the times that there is no room for nuance any more. You’re either with us or against us.

This isn’t the best place for a nuanced debate, of course. We come here in a tea break or a lull in our work flow and fire off a couple of lines here and a couple of lines there. Maybe from a tiny phone screen, as I am doing now. And in some cases they may take 48 hours to appear. It’s never going to flow naturally or be an intellectually rigorous argument.

My identity is no secret. It’s in my bio. But I choose not to use it here precisely because of this kind of misrepresentation.

And in passing, my view on "shaming" is that shame is internal. If one believes one's actions and beliefs are correct in respect of a given matter, one cannot feel shame about them. Shame is only felt by those who know, somewhere and somehow, that they are, in some sense, in the wrong.

Charlie, you’re a linguist. You know full well what shaming means. Your argument here reminds me of the Clarksons of this world arguing that nothing is intrinsically offensive.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
HOw it's done Jul 28, 2023

Here's one example of the kind of architecture that stays cool in hot weather. Muscat, Oman. Buildings close together create shady outdoor spaces that generate updraught. Thick walls (or double walls with a ventilated space between) built from locally available materials. Windows as few and as small as possible on the side that is most exposed to the sun. Can be bigger and more numerous on the other side. We can take lessons here and apply them to contemporary development.

np0cnbq5mjeb1

[Edited at 2023-07-28 20:11 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Lingua 5B
Kay Denney

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:03
German to English
Looks like a lot of people aren't listening to you, Tom Jul 28, 2023

Originally published in the FT (my go-to source of impartial news) today, republished here:

https://westobserver.com/business/travellers-hit-the-skies-even-as-ticket-prices-and-temperatures-soar/

Our flight from LHR to Houston (Bush) was booked out, including in business, as was our connecting flight to LHR f
... See more
Originally published in the FT (my go-to source of impartial news) today, republished here:

https://westobserver.com/business/travellers-hit-the-skies-even-as-ticket-prices-and-temperatures-soar/

Our flight from LHR to Houston (Bush) was booked out, including in business, as was our connecting flight to LHR from Zurich. People who fly three or four times a year aren't the problem. It's people who fly 20 or 30 times a year.

And before anybody says "We have Zoom/Teams now, we don't need in-person meetings", they clearly don't know how organisations work. At AATIA (www.atia.org), we now hold our board meetings virtually, but we're gradually returning to in-person member meetings (with presentations), at least one in two, because that's what our members want. Please don't presume you can tell our members what they want.
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
That is not what it is about Jul 28, 2023

RobinB wrote:
Please don't presume you can tell our members what they want.

Has anyone in this thread told anyone else what they (the latter) want?

There might have been robust opinions expressed about the consequences of what some people (in the world at large) are doing, with an undoubted implication that doing less of some of it would be viewed favourably in many quarters, but perhaps my perception of the tone and tenor of the conversation differs from yours.

Nonetheless, an insistance that the Way We Have Always Done It is the only conceivable method in future will not produce progress (in any sense).
It is to be hoped that enough people will decide that they do, in fact, actually want to change before it becomes a matter of needing to change (a stage some would argue we have already reached).

Rachel Waddington
Tony Keily
Kay Denney

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Faith Jul 29, 2023

RobinB wrote:

Originally published in the FT (my go-to source of impartial news)

Your faith in the impartialiy of Nikkei Inc. is quite impressive.

Charlie Bavington
Tony Keily

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
I was thinking Jul 29, 2023

When I saw your post. What part of my house is most exposed to the sun?

The East side probably, it’s open toward a street and no other houses to block the sun. On the opposite side, the West side, there is my neighbor’s house which significantly blocks the sun.

However, the East side gets hot in the morning, the West side gets hot in the afternoon. I see no difference whatsoever in the amount of heat though, they get equally hot. This is during the peak summer seaso
... See more
When I saw your post. What part of my house is most exposed to the sun?

The East side probably, it’s open toward a street and no other houses to block the sun. On the opposite side, the West side, there is my neighbor’s house which significantly blocks the sun.

However, the East side gets hot in the morning, the West side gets hot in the afternoon. I see no difference whatsoever in the amount of heat though, they get equally hot. This is during the peak summer season with highest temps.

I have strong ventilation system carefully arranged around the house. It works well to cool everything off, I really don’t like air cond. Gives me headache. The trees in my backyard are also tall enough to provide some natural draught with their leaves.
Collapse

Tom in London

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Jul 30, 2023

[Edited at 2023-07-30 17:53 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)
Christopher Schröder

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:03
German to English
Thank you Jul 30, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

RobinB wrote:

Originally published in the FT (my go-to source of impartial news)

Your faith in the impartialiy of Nikkei Inc. is quite impressive.

As it happens, Nikkei exercises zero editorial influence on the FT. If it tried to do so, most or even all of the FT journalists would walk out. It was exactly the same when Thomson owned the FT. But I admire your willingness to see a conspiracy here.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Astonished Aug 1, 2023

RobinB wrote:

....I admire your willingness to see a conspiracy here.

Your (erroneous) impression that I see a conspiracy gives me an interesting insight into how you react to what people say, or rather don't say.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Bahla Fort? Aug 1, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Here's one example of the kind of architecture that stays cool in hot weather. Muscat, Oman. Buildings close together create shady outdoor spaces that generate updraught. Thick walls (or double walls with a ventilated space between) built from locally available materials. Windows as few and as small as possible on the side that is most exposed to the sun. Can be bigger and more numerous on the other side. We can take lessons here and apply them to contemporary development.

np0cnbq5mjeb1

[Edited at 2023-07-28 20:11 GMT]

Isn't that the Bahla Fort?
This type of construction dates back many centuries and the Portuguese participated in much of it.
Built by the Portuguese around 1580 are two impressive fortresses located in Muscat, these are the forts of Jalali and Mirani.
Nice place for a historic getaway!

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Get away Aug 1, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:
Nice place for a historic getaway!

But how will they get there?😂😂

expressisverbis
Tom in London

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you given up flying?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »